Mountain Project Logo

Guide for Red Rock

Original Post
Ronda R · · Los Gatos, CA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I'm looking to take a trip out to Red Rock this May with a friend. We both are beginners is leading trad routes.  We would like to hire an amga guide for a day of crack climbing skills/techniques followed with a full day of a multi pitch route. Any recommendations?  

Thanks in advance!

Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415

Andrew Yasso or Elaina Arenz- both awesome people and guides!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Mark Limage of Jackson Hole Mountain Guides, based in Las Vegas.

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 327

It’s a short list of places that are actually permitted to guide in RR .... you have The American Alpine Institute , Red Rock Mountain Guides  , Jackson Hole Mountain Guides , Mountain Skills Guides .... there might be a 5th one but if there is it escapes me atm. They are all quality outfits with solid people ... I’d check out each outfit and see which suits what your looking for.

Personally ...names you might want to look into are Doug Foust(AAI) , Andrew Yasso(AAI) , Tracy Martin(Mountain Skills) , Josh Janes (Jackson Hole) , Dan Young (Red Rock Mountain Guides) all great Guides.

Jake Carufel · · Lexington, MI · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 25

I just went on a climbing trip to Red Rock in February and worked with Jackson Hole Mountain Guides. I had Gary Newmeyer as my guide. We had a stellar time linking Beulah's Book to Arch Enemy to the top of Solar Slab. He was super helpful and a great time. We grabbed a beer afterwards and shared laughs. I would highly recommend Gary and JHMG for your trip!

Ronda R · · Los Gatos, CA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks guys for all your help!  Looking forward to coming out to Red Rock. Cheers!

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

Just an aside, Red Rock in May is going to be hot. I'm in Red Rock right now and it's about as late in the spring as I'd want to be here. Local guides will know where to take you to chase shade, but there's only so much that shade can do to beat the heat. The earlier you can come the better, and have lots of water and sunscreen.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
John Wilder wrote:

Shady multipitch trad is completely fine in May- it's prime season for locals to enjoy the canyons before the summer heat hits. 

Hm, maybe it's fine for locals but this Northeasterner is roasting!

Oliver McMahon · · Nashua, NH · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 285

I climbed with Tracy Martin from the American Alpine Institute.  I would recommend her or any of the AAI guides.

Julie Andersen · · Panama City, FL · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Where is Mark Limage now? Last I knew he was with Jackson Hole, but I heard he's not there anymore. 

John Wilder wrote:

To my knowledge, he's no longer guiding in the area. 

Thank you! I found out he's in Idaho now.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Guide for Red Rock"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started