Mountain Project Logo

Fun First Climb within 4 or 5 hours of Seattle?

Original Post
Jeffrey K · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Hey everyone.

I'm really interested in getting out for my first outdoor climb but I'm a little overwhelmed sorting through all of the options.

I TR 5.10a/b in the gym but endurance is an issue and obviously I'd like to find something easier and a great intro to outdoor climbing.

I can potentially find someone to lead but finding a safe route for strictly TR would be even better.

Any recommendations for a good intro top rope climb within 4 or 5 hours of Seattle?

Thank you!

DougEvolves · · orting,wa · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 20
DougEvolves wrote: mountainproject.com/area/10…

Nice! That seems perfect.

Thank you!
Samuel Georgian · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 25

Gritscone, a Far Side crag at Exit 38. Easy leads or you can walk up to set up top ropes. 

Samuel Georgian wrote: Gritscone, a Far Side crag at Exit 38. Easy leads or you can walk up to set up top ropes. 

That also looks great! Thank you!!

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

Gritscone is probably best. You can TR a few lines at the repo walls of little si also.

Write off that Doug recommended does require leading the routes, but it's also out of the trees and dries fast. If you feel like you're in over your head to lead it's popular enough that most days there will be a party to get the rope up for you. 

Meredith E. · · Bainbridge Island, WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 5
  • If you are willing to drive a little further, there are top rope routes around in Leavenworth (when it melts out) and Mount Erie.  Also, ask around at your gym.  Plenty of locals are itching to start getting out somewhere other than Vantage now.
Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

5 hours from Seattle easily gets you to Squamish where the opportunities are nearly endless.  Pick up the latest guide book and head for any crag up there.  You'll be able to drop a top rope in a lot of places.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm going to head out next week and give Gritscone a shot and then work through all the other great suggestions!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Fun First Climb within 4 or 5 hours of Seattle?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started