Mountain Project Logo

Red Rock Guides? Rental Gear?

Original Post
Dave Dillon · · Tewksbury · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 180

Hi Folks. I'm a Northeastern climber (Rock and Ice). I'll be visiting Vegas next week for a friends wedding and plan to stop over at Red Rocks to check out some climbing areas. I'm thinking we'll stop by "Moderate Mecca" to scope out some of the easier stuff. I'd rather not travel with a full rack/rope as I'm only bringing a carry on so I'm exploring options:

Can any of you suggest a local guide in the area that wouldn't charge an arm and a leg to show me and a friend around?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114
Dave Dillon wrote: I'm only figuring a guide since I know renting or borrowing a rope is unlikely.

Checking a bag with your gear is far and away the cheapest option.  
Buying a rope in Vegas is your next cheapest option.
Hiring a guide for two is the easiest option.
ToDoubleD Whitney · · Aptos, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 30

As above and I’ll add that you can get a lot of kick ass moderate climbing done very easily at the first pull out just using the MP app and talking to the many climbers there. That place is Disneyland for climbers. 

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

You can take a rack,, rope, a dozen draws, harness, and belay device in your carry-on. I've done so multiple times. I've also taken my full trad rack carry-on as well. If you have the ability to lead, this is the obvious choice.

Walter Galli · · Las vegas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 2,247

Pm sent.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Dave Dillon wrote: Hi Folks. I'm a Northeastern climber (Rock and Ice). I'll be visiting Vegas next week for a friends wedding and plan to stop over at Red Rocks to check out some climbing areas. I'm thinking we'll stop by "Moderate Mecca" to scope out some of the easier stuff. I'd rather not travel with a full rack/rope as I'm only bringing a carry on so I'm exploring options:

Can any of you suggest a good gear rental outfitter in the area? Also any guides in the area that wouldn't charge an arm and a leg to show me and a friend around? I'm only figuring a guide since I know renting or borrowing a rope is unlikely.

No outfitter or climbing shop in the states is going to rent anything other than shoes and maybe a helmet; definitely not ropes or racks.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

Certified guides can be spendy, hopefully one of the local pirate guides will message you, arrrrr!

Dave Dillon · · Tewksbury · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 180

Change of plans. I'm going to pack a rope and some draws. Too much of a hassle otherwise. Can you guys suggest a nice easy sport area? Sub 5.8 leads.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Do you have the Handren guidebook? It will answer all things Red Rock for you.

Camille Rucker · · Mt Vernon, WA · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0
The Hamlet Area sounds like it would be perfect for you. The climbs are in your range (grades are reasonably consistent for Red Rocks IMO, ie quite soft). It's one of my favorite areas to get some easy milage in. 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Red Rock Guides? Rental Gear?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.