Mountain Project Logo

Squatter Near climbing crag. Who to contact?

Original Post
Alan Coon · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 350

Hey folks. Went up to check out a crag up st vrain today and someone has been camping out for a long time up there. I’m pretty sure it’s on national forest land but not 100 percent. Any ideas on what I should do?

P
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Alan Coon wrote: Hey folks. Went up to check out a crag up st vrain today and someone has been camping out for a long time up there. I’m pretty sure it’s on national forest land but not 100 percent. Any ideas on what I should do?

P

Leave em be? Are they causing trouble?

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

In that case call the local Forest Service office.  You can camp on Federal Lands but you can't live there.

Hobo Greg's ilk will have to find a new home :(

wendy weiss · · boulder, co · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10

My only concern would be if there were signs of a campfire.

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015

If they aren't causing much trouble, leave them be.

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

Leave them alone

JD · · Southern AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

Offer them a place to crash

But they are disrupting the wild life!

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Always a tricky situation. You don’t want someone to get booted if they’re in a hard situation but dumping trash everywhere and the potential of them having campfires are definitely problematic.

Scott O · · Anchorage · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 70

The poor wildlife being disrupted next to that road...

Scott O wrote: The poor wildlife being disrupted next to that road...

I'm just thinking like the National Park Service thinks.

jg fox wrote:

I'm just thinking like the National Park Service thinks.

Please tell me more, I’d like to hear this...

Tapawingo Markey wrote:

Please tell me more, I’d like to hear this...

Dogs not allowed on trails but horses are because somehow dogs are more disruptive...

They do some dumb stuff at times.
jg fox wrote:

Dogs not allowed on trails but horses are because somehow dogs are more disruptive...

They do some dumb stuff at times.

Dogs chase wildlife, their feces is more likely to contain bacteria than that of horses, national parks are the amusement parks of the outdoors and allowing all those visitors to also bring Fido would have a negative impact on the user experience, wildlife, and potentially water quality. Go to the National Forests and BLM managed areas if you’d like to bring the furry one. They’re typically quieter anyhow.

Sorry for the thread drift, OP.
Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

I'm just going to come out and say it he's ruining my wilderness experience

Alan Coon · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 350

Thanks gents. It’s a non climber or at least my best guess. I have no problems with folks doing what they have to and I mean no Ill will towards the guy or gal it’s just a popular spot and the climbing season is upon us. With that amount of trash and being right on the trail I could see things becoming an issue. As long as climbers aren’t blamed for the trash or why they didn’t report it I don’t care. I’ll be climbing there in a few weeks and will leave a 6er since there are pbr cans around. One of the boxes said canyon Charlie... anyone know of canyon Charlie in St vrain?

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20

Go climbing?

Tapawingo Markey wrote:

Dogs chase wildlife, their feces is more likely to contain bacteria than that of horses, national parks are the amusement parks of the outdoors and allowing all those visitors to also bring Fido would have a negative impact on the user experience, wildlife, and potentially water quality. Go to the National Forests and BLM managed areas if you’d like to bring the furry one. They’re typically quieter anyhow.

Sorry for the thread drift, OP.

A leashed dog will chase wild life?  Little kids can do that too; when I was in the boy scouts, we used to chuck rocks at the water fowl at Great Falls National Park.  

You can pick up dog feces like human feces, again something you have pick up if you go.  Never saw a horse rider pick up their feces.

Canyon Charlie · · St. Vrain · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

YOU listen here and listen GOOD Alan, you deng two timin, city slickin', two bit tawny owl, urban cowboy.

Maybe them ol' canyons are gettin a little small for a simple ol' prospectin' vagabond like your pal Canyon Charlie, but you can bet your 'biners this ol' goldsniffer'll be buried in his grave before the likes of YOU chases him off his claim! If that ol' schoolmaster Woodrow Woodpecker Wilson couldn't use his goons to chase off Ol' Charlie back in them terrible teen years (I was too old for the War at the time lest ye judge) I'd sure be plum pleased to see you try and give me the boot, young feller!

I truly tell ya, I wasn't hidin neither, the other day, and I heard a couple of your ilk talkin about a "Gold Finger" and somethin about "five thirteen" and I hustled up it to lay a stake in it and hatch all the gold for meself (didn't need one of them silly painted ropes I saw you with neither). So there I am in the deng brush up on the topside and I see some proper ol' soft cityboys yellin' "TAKE" near the rocks and then go sniffin around my grubstake. INTOLERABLE aggression I tell ya! Still tryna' figure out exactly what they took as I have yet to see any signs yet of tamperin'.

But Alan you just mind yerself, because you can bet sure as them little shoes you wear that Canyon Charlie's got his eye on ya, and not the glass one neither!

jg fox wrote:

A leashed dog will chase wild life?  Little kids can do that too; when I was in the boy scouts, we used to chuck rocks at the water fowl at Great Falls National Park.  

You can pick up dog feces like human feces, again something you have pick up if you go.  Never saw a horse rider pick up their feces.

A leashes dog on the trail can bark and disturb wildlife and other users, yes. And you’re right, dog feces can be picked up but have you been to an area that has many K9 visitors? It’s not likely it will be picked up. 

I love dogs and I’m a dog owner but I think land managers need to be realistic when it comes to their expectations of dog owners, hence the no dogs on trails rule in NPs.
Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260

No troubles should mean no need to do anything.

What a crazy society we live in where just "being" is considered in some ways weird, borderline and/or dangerous. IMO this shouldn't even be a question. Not pickin' on you Alan there - the way I see it, we're somewhat driven to view anyone not in a hotel, a 50$/night campground or a home with suspicion.  And it's pretty damn effective because... we do.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Squatter Near climbing crag. Who to contact? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started