Mountain Project Logo

New climbing shoes

Original Post
rudedog205 · · River falls, WI · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

The climbing shoes I currently have, the la sportiva tarantulas, are all worn out and I was thinking about getting some new shoes but a step up. I'm looking for a good all around shoe that's a step up from these but still more casual any recommendations?

Michael Hase · · San Jose, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 506

If la sportivas fit your feet then the katana lace may be a good option 

Charles DuPont · · Portland, ME · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 118

5.10 anasazi vcs or pinks are a great step up and are still pretty comfortable 

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

Katana are great but much more aggressive than the tarantula. You’ll be happy though. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

+1 for katana lace. They're aggressive, but still quite comfortable when sized correctly. (Big step up in price, though. Make sure you hunt for a sale.)

ToDoubleD Whitney · · Aptos, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 30

Make sure to buy from a place that allows you to climb in them for a bit to see if you like them. If I'm buying a pair of shoes I've never bought before I usually go to REI. 

Trevor · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 830

Katakis are a better next shoe than a Katana Lace. Slightly less aggressive and a bit softer, more versatile in my opinion. 

rudedog205 · · River falls, WI · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks guys!

Zachary Winters · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 430
Trevor. wrote:

Katakis are a better next shoe than a Katana Lace. Slightly less aggressive and a bit softer, more versatile in my opinion. 

Katakis are actually marketed to be more aggressive both in down turn and asymmetry than the Katana Lace. There's a useful chart here: https://www.sportiva.com/media/wysiwyg/Product_Charts/ClimbingComparisonChart2017_lowres_Page_2.jpg

That said, having worn both, it is very hard to tell the difference in those things (very teensy bit more downturn in Kataki). The main difference is the fit of the heel. The Kataki has a higher volume heel (I prefer the fit of the Katana).

Would recommend both for a next shoe if you do a little of everything. Go for something softer than either of those if you mostly boulder.

Kathy B. Thomas · · Sampson Street Broomfield · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Which type of shoe you are thinking of,

are you thinking about changing the shape ?
If you are stasified with La sportiva i would recommend you to go for "La sportiva Solution". Versatile climbing shoe which gives you extreme flexibility and comfort. 

would you interested in downturning shoe ,though it depends on your expertise.
But I just bought "Mad Rock Lotus"  and it feels well on my feet . 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "New climbing shoes"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started