Mountain Project Logo

Lack of Customer service at Wild Country

Original Post
Tim Kemple · · Salt Lake · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 170

Just a heads up before you decide what brand of gear to purchase.  A trigger got messed up on a Helium cam,so I contacted WC (now owned by Salewa) I asked if I could get it repaired. I didn't ask for a replacement or anything. Their response was:do you have the original receipt?  Can you believe it?  How many climbers are going to keep the receipts for gear?  I would need a bigger house! It was like they couldn't be bothered.   BD would have either fixed it at reasonable charge or replaced it.

Peter M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 10

That's a bummer to hear, I got a lot of the helium QDs and I like their gear. I want to get some cams but maybe I'll stick to c4s

greggrylls · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 276
Peter M wrote:

That's a bummer to hear, I got a lot of the helium QDs and I like their gear. I want to get some cams but maybe I'll stick to c4s

Hopefully this is a one off.  I have a #1 wild country and the rest of my big cams are C4s.  I like it but maybe 10 percent more than the C4s. I was planning on getting more but with BD being close to my house idk if WC being slightly better justifies poor customer service and difficulty getting new slings/repairs.  

Hmmm.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Did they say they wouldn't touch it without a receipt? If so, that's pretty ridiculous. But if they just asked you if you had the receipt and you hung up then that's a different story because they may just use that information for logging purposes or to retrieve other information about the purchase.

I highly doubt their standard policy is to refuse all warranty service without a reciept because the stakes are much higher when it's life-bearing equipment. My guess is that either you misunderstood something from them, they misunderstood something from you, or you just got a person who was having a shitty day. Try calling again. 

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

Pretty lame of you sally's that got my post deleted.  

Pretty lame to bash a company with such a vague post.  So, they asked for a receipt and you get all up in arms?  Really?  It just might be to your advantage to have the receipt.  Many companies will honor their warranty from the date of purchase.  But, without a receipt, they will have to use the date of manufacture, which will make your cam months or years older and might put it out of warranty.  Whine on!

I think I'll buy some more WC cams today.

Jackei Mo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2021 · Points: 0

How unpleasant the situation is! I am sure that there are a lot of such pancake shops all over the country. In the past, I often faced stacked relations, so now I have to keep all receipts so that I don't buy, of course, except for products :)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Jackei Mo wrote:

How unpleasant the situation is! I am sure that there are a lot of such pancake shops all over the country. In the past, I often faced stacked relations, so now I have to keep all receipts so that I don't buy, of course, except for products :)

Yes, this makes sense. To someone. Somewhere. Somehow.

Auden Alsop · · Berkeley · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 401
FrankPS wrote:

Yes, this makes sense. To someone. Somewhere. Somehow.

Makes sense to me! I can’t stand those pancake shops myself...

On a serious note, I think a few of my brain cells imploded just reading that.

Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Now I want pancakes.

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 505

As someone who worked with warranties for years, many brands do require a proof of purchase to process a warranty, its far from uncommon. If I remember correctly salewa was always a tricky brand to work with, there seemed to be an art in wrangling them into just doing their jobs. Hopefully they pull through for you.

Tim Kemple · · Salt Lake · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 170

I feel badly, I thought I had posted a thank you to Wild Country. It took some wrangling, but they did come through and help me out.  So very belatedly, Thanks!

Michael Atlas · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 35
Peter M wrote:

Ill take a helium 4 off your hands

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Jackei Mo wrote:

You resurrected a 3 year old thread to say that???

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
Marc801 C wrote:

You resurrected a 3 year old thread to say that???

You are equally guilty, if not more, for responding.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Lack of Customer service at Wild Country"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started