Mountain Project Logo

Experienced climber wanted, Wildlife Refuge

Original Post
JustinMCawood Cawood · · Fort Bragg, NC · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 20

Two friends and I have been climbing for a bit (little over year and half maybe).  I just did my first lead on Mr. Clean a 5.8 on Mount Scott.  What I'm really looking for is someone that has lots of experience with cams.  Every time I placed one they always seemed to walk.  So, just resorted to nuts.  Just need someone to follow to see what I'm doing wrong.  That and the amount of pro you need for a route.  Thanks for your time. 

txclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

Generally, if your cams are walking it's because you didn't extend them and should have.  Lot's of climbs in the Wichitas wander quite a bit, making this worse.  Get a bunch of shoulder link slings and put them on all your placements and I bet you see improvement.

Ty Gittins · · Bozeman · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1,376

I'm interested in climbing in the refuge Friday afternoon and Saturday morning if you care to get out. Send me a message if interested

Joseph Williams · · Salt Lake City · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 121

Congratulations on your first trad lead! It's definitely something to be proud of. 

People like to talk about cams and parallel cracks. While it's the place to use them, something I find useful is to look for a section with irregularities, kind of like looking for a nut placement inside that parallel crack. If they are above and/or behind the cam, these usually help prevent the cam from walking.

Slings like txclimbers said also can help.

It sounds like you do, but do you test them when you place them? If I pick a cam that is more tightly cammed than looser, and place it around irregularities, it tends not to walk when I test it. If it does and I still like the placement, I'll throw a sling on it.

Ty, sent a pm. Can definitely make it out Friday afternoon.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have slings, just not enough caribeeners for the alpine slings. I have practiced placing while top roping and usually give them a yank or two.  They don't seem to walk and hold. But, my second, wiggled it right out.  That's my only worry. 

Doug Hoyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
JustinMCawood Cawood wrote:

Thanks everyone for the input. I have slings, just not enough caribeeners for the alpine slings. 

That is really not a good reason.  If you don't have what you need to safely climb a route,  then delay till you have what you need.  Sometimes we encounter an unexpected situation, and we have to make do,  but not having enough carabiners to properly set protection does not fall under that circumstance....

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Doug Hoyle wrote:

That is really not a good reason.  If you don't have what you need to safely climb a route,  then delay till you have what you need.  Sometimes we encounter an unexpected situation, and we have to make do,  but not having enough carabiners to properly set protection does not fall under that circumstance....

Give the guy a break. Not everyone is rich like you 

Make sure the stems of the cams are in the direction of the fall, usually the same direction you climb. That will reduce the movement of the rope through the banners. Also, if you have a lot of drag rope/friction in the system will transfer to the cams and make them walk. Unless it is caused by a roof or corner. 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Experienced climber wanted, Wildlife Refuge"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started