Mountain Project Logo

weather at Red River Gorge during Easter long weekend (end of March)

Original Post
Helen L · · Toronto, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 341

Coming down to RRG for the first time this Easter long weekend and planning to camp at Land of the Arches. What is the weather like in the daytime for climbing, and what is it like at night? I want to mae sure I bring properly clothing for climbing and for sleeping outdoors... hoping not to freeze!

Thanks!

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

See this weather summary: Applies just as perfectly to end of March as it does to Thanksgiving. :)

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/114107276/thanksgiving-in-the-red

I think about 5 or 6 years ago, during the last week of March I spent at the Red, I have worn:
-big heavy down jacket
-light down jacket
-light down jacket WITH rain jacket
-fleece jacket
-fleece jacket WITH the rain jacket
-rain jacket over t-shirt
-long sleeved shirt
-tank top

Pick 3 items from this list at random, and assign them randomly to morning, afternoon, and evening on every day of the week. You will get an approximately right idea. If you have a medium down jacket, bring that, too, why not?

Paddy O'Hulk · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 45

Like Lena Chita said, it could be a bunch of things. I'd bet on 50's-mid/upper 60's in the day and maybe low 40's at night. Pretty mild temps. 

Helen L · · Toronto, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 341

For a Canadian, it definitely looks like great weather.. except for all the rain that is forecast to fall! :/

Paddy O'Hulk · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 45
Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665

I've been baked and I've been snowed out that week.  You'll have to just watch the forecast!
If it gets bad, drive south a few extra hours to Chattanooga and hit Twall.  If that fails, keep going to Sand Rock.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "weather at Red River Gorge during Easter long w…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started