"Oops! That page can’t be found."

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

It should work now

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
M Sprague wrote:

It should work now

Yep. Thanks.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

Our apps don't have ads thanks to REI.  Even when they did, we did our own code.  We do use Facebook for login of course, but I'm pretty sure that's totally unrelated.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6
John Wilder wrote:

I just cleaned out my apps with data permissions in Facebook and Mountain Project is among them, so information is flowing between the two. 

in order for facebook login to work, you usually end up sharing stuff like email and public profile, which includes stuff like first and last name, age range, a few others, usually just enough to create a basic profile on the third party system. those are the data permissions you are seeing in facebook that you can revoke for mountain project. next time you log in with facebook, you would be prompted again to give permission to mountain project to access your data, and there you can see exactly what they are asking for.

Max Supertramp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 95

Thanks John.  I'm pretty sure that you're totally right.  

J Squared · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

if facebook has ever connected your face to your first and last name... even if you never had a FB account... then surprise!  FB knows your entire cell phone record.

if you think cell companies care about your privacy...

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

The Cambridge Analytica stuff isn't even the scariest thing about Facebook.

Facebook does facial recognition on photographs, and creates "shadow profiles" on people in photographs even if they don't use Facebook or even if you don't use the internet. It only requires that you be in photos which are uploaded to Facebook. If you have a Facebook account, there's a setting which says you can turn off facial recognition on your account, but the reality is that setting only means they won't tell you when they recognize your face in photos.

Every time a photo gets uploaded to Facebook, Facebook runs facial recognition on each of the faces in the photo. If two people are in the photo, Facebook creates a weak link between those two people in their database, and every time another photo with those two people is uploaded, it adds a "strength" value to those links. A weak link just means you were at the same place at the same time, but a strong link means that you're in the same place at the same time a lot: that is, you're close friends. This allows Facebook to create a internlinked graph of all the relationships on the planet. It's not perfectly accurate, because facial recognition isn't perfectly accurate yet, but with so many photos being uploaded to Facebook every second, the inaccuracies even out pretty well.

This isn't even secret. Neither was the Cambridge Analytica stuff; it's just that major news sources didn't see it as a story before Bloomberg.

Also, Facebook isn't the only company doing this. Shadow profiles are fairly common. I've worked on websites which kept shadow profiles on users (though I've never directly worked on code which collected that data--perhaps that's fine hair to split but at least I'm trying to not contribute to this problem).

Mic W · · Drake, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 10

I'm increasingly concerned about the algorithms and machine logic that both autonomously, and under the direction of those with special interests, have such great power at influencing minds and pushing agendas. 

The insight of this speaker is remarkable

https://www.ted.com/talks/zeynep_tufekci_machine_intelligence_makes_human_morals_more_important/up-next

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270
David Kerkeslager wrote:

The Cambridge Analytica stuff isn't even the scariest thing about Facebook.

Facebook does facial recognition on photographs, and creates "shadow profiles" on people in photographs even if they don't use Facebook or even if you don't use the internet. It only requires that you be in photos which are uploaded to Facebook. If you have a Facebook account, there's a setting which says you can turn off facial recognition on your account, but the reality is that setting only means they won't tell you when they recognize your face in photos.

Every time a photo gets uploaded to Facebook, Facebook runs facial recognition on each of the faces in the photo. If two people are in the photo, Facebook creates a weak link between those two people in their database, and every time another photo with those two people is uploaded, it adds a "strength" value to those links. A weak link just means you were at the same place at the same time, but a strong link means that you're in the same place at the same time a lot: that is, you're close friends. This allows Facebook to create a internlinked graph of all the relationships on the planet. It's not perfectly accurate, because facial recognition isn't perfectly accurate yet, but with so many photos being uploaded to Facebook every second, the inaccuracies even out pretty well.

This isn't even secret. Neither was the Cambridge Analytica stuff; it's just that major news sources didn't see it as a story before Bloomberg.

Also, Facebook isn't the only company doing this. Shadow profiles are fairly common. I've worked on websites which kept shadow profiles on users (though I've never directly worked on code which collected that data--perhaps that's fine hair to split but at least I'm trying to not contribute to this problem).

Serious question, does this "shadow profile"algorithm know that me and Jared Leto are really friends, and climbed Stately Pleasure Dome together, or does Facebook think the photo is " 'Shopped " like the haters said it looked?

Forever Outside wrote:

Serious question, does this "shadow profile"algorithm know that me and Jared Leto are really friends, and climbed Stately Pleasure Dome together, or does Facebook think the photo is " 'Shopped " like the haters said it looked?

i wouldnt be surprised if the AI has advanced enough to be able to look at the direction of the shadows, and notice the mismatch lighting on the faces.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Forever Outside wrote:

I can really only guess about details like this, since I don't have access to Facebook's code. But if I were writing this code, I'd probably assume that the vast majority of photos aren't photoshopped like this, so I wouldn't bother to check for photoshopping at all. Even if they do check, I don't know of technologies that identify photoshopping with any high degree of accuracy (yet). So my guess is that it probably looks at your photo and thinks it's a photo of you and Jared Leto.

That said, if it's only one photo, it probably just thinks you ran into Jared Leto once and got a picture with him, just like probably thousands of fans have done. You'd probably need a bunch of photos like this, with different backgrounds, for the algorithm to think you and Jared are friends.

You're definitely thinking like a hacker, though. :D

people who end up making and using such technologies generally don't go shouting to the world that they exist..

I would be surprised if facebooks actual code even does the facial recognition... it's probably a shadow company for shadow profiles ;)

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Forever Outside wrote:

FB doesn't have to be right every time. It just has to be right more often than it's not right. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Dump Facebook?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started