Mountain Project Logo

Rent Guidebooks?

Original Post
Manuel Mueller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Hi guys.

I am flying to California/Nevada/Utah for the next weeks. Main spots we will visit are Yosemite, Eastern Sierra Nevada/Bishop Area, Red Rocks, St. George Area, Joshua Tree.

Does anyone has an idea if it's possible to rent guidebooks for these areas. 

Thanks in advance :-)

Best regards

Manuel & Sofia

ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55

If you're a member of the AAC, they have a large lending library of guidebooks that they will ship to you free (you pay return postage).

http://booksearch.americanalpineclub.org/

You can keep them for up to a month.

John Wilder wrote:

Not to my knowledge. Mountain project is a good source if you don't have the funds for books, but if you can, it's really good to support local communities and buying the local guide from the local shop is a great way to do it.

I agree. We will do that if we stay for more days or weeks.

Thanks for the app

Matt Thomsen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 263

Wow, that is going to be a lot of driving. You do know the passes are closed from Yosemite to bishop area, right?

I think east side sports in Bishop does rent guidebooks that are out of print I believe. 

ebmudder wrote:

If you're a member of the AAC, they have a large lending library of guidebooks that they will ship to you free (you pay return postage).

Thanks. Sadly, I am coming from Austria which is why I have never heard of AAC before. :-) 

ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55
Manuel Mueller wrote:

Thanks. Sadly, I am coming from Austria which is why I have never heard of AAC before. :-) 

If you have a friend in the U.S. that's an AAC member, they might be able to order them for you in advance.

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 327

Nowhere in Vegas/Red rock rents books that I’m aware of and you might be hard pressed to find someone willing to lend you a handren guide ....although the Red Rock MP is one of the more solid/complete ones around as far as Red Rock goes if your sticking to the classics for the most part MP has all the info you’ll need.

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

Other options are:

• Try to pick up a used copy at one of the gear exchanges.  Desert Rock in Vegas has one, as does Bishop (Mammoth Mountaineering).
  • People may be willing to part with older editions of guides at low cost.
  • Libraries
  • Summitpost (another climbing site)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Rent Guidebooks?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started