Mountain Project Logo

Red River Gorge Access

Original Post
DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

Cross post from r/climbing. 

October is upon us, and Rocktoberfest is just around the corner and that means it tis the season! It also means increased traffic and impact. Access has become a little more complicated here in the last few seasons so I'd like to compile all the info here. Don't be that group/gal/guy that ruins access for everyone.

Roadside/Graining Fork Nature Preserve - Access here is by permit only! Permits can obtained at grainingfork.org/newpermit/ You can usually obtain permits for your trip in advance so don't wait until you are in the parking lot with no reception to try to get one. Roadside is ACTIVELY POLICED, those without a permit will be asked to leave and it will be at the landowner's discretion to charge you with trespassing. *Additional concerns: Absolutely no dogs allowed, groups of 10 or more must have a guide from Kentucky Rock and Adventure Guides, (college groups I'm looking at you).

Muir Valley - Liability Waiver Required, available at muirvalley.com/waiver.html No dogs allowed, legitimate service dogs must be registered with Muir, no hammocks allowed, bring $10 cash per car for parking.

Pendegrass Murray, Miller Fork, and Bald Rock Fork Recreational Preserves - RRGCC liability waiver required, available at smartwaiver.com/w/51c2134a2… Those visiting select cliffs in the area including the Motherlode and Chocolate Factory must sign an ADDITIONAL waiver available at motherlode-llc.com/permit/ Additional concerns: I would currently recommend all non-AWD cars to not go down the Motherlode/first PMRP hill, instead park at the top of the hill if spots are available, taking care not to block other cars or fence gates. At least 2 cars drove off the hill last year trying to get back up and no one likes being stuck behind a car that takes 3 tries to make it up. Those planning to visit Miller Fork on October Saturdays, plan on arriving early in order to get a spot in the parking lot.

Torrent - Access is currently limited to cabin guests and guided clients, more information is available at redriveroutdoors.com

National Forest and Clifty Wilderness Areas - fs.usda.gov/activity/dbnf/r…

Natural Bridge - No Climbing Allowed

Whether a rule or just common courtesy, throughout the Gorge it's considered respectful to keep group sizes at 6 or below, in order to lessen our impact as well as prevent particular crags and climbs from becoming monopolized by a single group. Additionally, if you are the leader of your group consider it YOUR responsibility to ensure all those in your group have the necessary waivers for the areas you plan to climb at.

Thomas Gilmore · · Where the climate suits my… · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,059

Bump. Please read if you are heading to the red!

Cole T · · Cincinnati, OH · Joined May 2012 · Points: 496

Great summary of access. One other note, there is now a free app for RRG. Please be courteous during rocktoberfest as the crags are always crowded.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redriverclimbing.app

Thomas Gilmore · · Where the climate suits my… · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,059

Bump for rocktoberfest starting today. Also keep in mind that they host clinics on sunday on coalition property (pmrp/mfrp). Maybe there's a list of crags they are using to give everyone a heads up?

Thomas Gilmore wrote:

Bump for rocktoberfest starting today. Also keep in mind that they host clinics on sunday on coalition property (pmrp/mfrp). Maybe there's a list of crags they are using to give everyone a heads up?

Subject to change due to the rain but the clinics will be at Drive By, Coopers Cove, Gold Coast,  Secret Garden,  The Nursery,  and the Shire.

ed hall · · melbourne fl · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

hey thanks DrRockso for the great summary

any update or changes to this?

I like to keep the gymbies down here in FLA apprised

I am also wondering if there are any "official" regs regarding large , "guided" groups. I vaguely remember reading something about parties of xx or more, but that was 20 years ago.

thx

Ed

ed hall · · melbourne fl · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

well I found this on GFNP website pretty quick:  

"All organization sponsored climbing groups (universities, churches, clubs, etc) and groups of 10 or more are required to have at least one guide through Kentucky Rock and Adventure Guides (KRAG). At this time, no other guiding company is permitted to use Graining Fork Nature Preserve. "

ed hall wrote:

hey thanks DrRockso for the great summary

any update or changes to this?

I like to keep the gymbies down here in FLA apprised

I am also wondering if there are any "official" regs regarding large , "guided" groups. I vaguely remember reading something about parties of xx or more, but that was 20 years ago.

thx

Ed

Guided groups require permits or permission on RRGCC property, Muir, National Forest/Clifty Wilderness land, more information can be found on the various groups respective websites but in general adding the group as additional insured on the party's liability insurance is required. Daniel Boone National Forest requires a commercial special use permit. Graining Fork does NOT allow guided groups without a guide from Kentucky Rock and Adventure Guides. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Red River Gorge Access"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started