Mountain Project Logo

Current Gunks Conditions??

Original Post
SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

Thinking of heading up this weekend. Stoked to get back on the rock!

Just kidding.

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 66

Looking forward to seeing this question posted weekly for the next few months. :)

Hopefully I'll be asking it myself one of these days.

chris vultaggio · · The Gunks · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 535

High E should be dry mostly but the sit-start may be wet, which means you can't claim a send on 8nu or MP.

Mountain deli will still be overcharging, hammocks at the mac wall will be hung like prayer flags in a hippie commune, and millbrook, as usual, will be empty.

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
chris_vultaggio wrote:

High E should be dry mostly but the sit-start may be wet, which means you can't claim a send on 8nu or MP.

Mountain deli will still be overcharging, hammocks at the mac wall will be hung like prayer flags in a hippie commune, and millbrook, as usual, will be empty.

You forgot... there will be Mohonk employees at every entrance, collecting the day use fee.

Danny · · Boulder · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 135

I went up last sunday in a group of four and found enough dry routes to play all day. last week it had snowed on friday, so i brought my big tarp which was useful at the base. looking at this weekend's weather, it looks like sunday will be similar conditions to last sunday. sunny, empty, and limited dry routes. if you're desperate enough, have fun! i've gotten a day in each month so far this year. 

can't wait for spring!!!

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Danny wrote:

I went up last sunday in a group of four and found enough dry routes to play all day. last week it had snowed on friday, so i brought my big tarp which was useful at the base. looking at this weekend's weather, it looks like sunday will be similar conditions to last sunday. sunny, empty, and limited dry routes. if you're desperate enough, have fun! i've gotten a day in each month so far this year. 

can't wait for spring!!!

I was up there this past Sunday too.

The difference between last Sunday and this coming Sunday is that the Gunks got over a foot of snow last night.

James Sweeney · · Roselle Park, NJ · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 30

Chris,

Why would it matter if High E is dry or not?

David Kerkeslager wrote:

The difference between last Sunday and this coming Sunday is that the Gunks got over a foot of snow last night.

make it stop!!!

chris vultaggio · · The Gunks · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 535
James Sweeney wrote:

Chris,

Why would it matter if High E is dry or not?

I'll never complain about rain on High E - usually means at least one midpitch 4-5 point anchor made out of brand new cams waiting to be scooped up...

chris_vultaggio wrote:

I'll never complain about rain on High E - usually means at least one midpitch 4-5 point anchor made out of brand new cams waiting to be scooped up...

This is how us mere mortals can become professional climbers: make a steady income selling booty. Maybe this is the way I retire early.

Louis-thomas Schreiber · · Quebec, QC · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 4,267

We were hoping to climb in the Gunks on March 30-31. We come from far North, seeking earlier climbable rock. If anybody could confirm us that we won't drive 20h for wet/snowy conditions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0
Louis-Thomas Schreiber wrote:

We were hoping to climb in the Gunks on March 30-31. We come from far North, seeking earlier climbable rock. If anybody could confirm us that we won't drive 20h for wet/snowy conditions, it would be greatly appreciated!

I was there last weekend and everything we get on was dry except for Bonnie's Roof. With the sun shining, not much wind, and temps in the high 30s it felt surprisingly comfortable.

Louis-Thomas Schreiber wrote:

It's a bit early to be making weather predictions for March 30-31...

Adam Bacall · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

What are conditions like for this weekend?

Adam Bacall wrote:

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ny/gardiner?cm_ven=localwx_10day

looks pretty good to me. i'm going sunday. looks like tuesday and wednesday will be prime, in the 50s. 

Adam Bacall wrote:

Ideal for sending.

curvenut · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0

How is the Trapps condition, snow on ground and water dripping on the cliff  ?

curvenut wrote:

How is the Trapps condition, snow on ground and water dripping on the cliff  ?

I was there today. Very little snow left. Minimal water drippage.

Pierre de St Croix · · CT · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 0

I’m looking for a partner Saturday around 5.9 Grades.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Current Gunks Conditions??"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started