Mountain Project Logo

Vintage Mystery Gear

Original Post
Rika J · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 10

A friend gave me some vintage climbing gear he had laying around. The two small stoppers and the biner are old school Chouinard. The other stuff is like nothing i’ve ever seen before. Even after pretty extensive research, I can’t find any info about pyramid shaped chocks (?). Does anyone know anything?

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Wow! Cool piece. It does have the look of a passive type of rock protection, but the walls look rather thin for that. I'll be curious what it turns out to be. It might be helpful for people here if you can tell if there are any markings on it.

Nick Kozlowski · · Idaho Falls, ID · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Maybe early aid gear? Can you fit your foot in it?

There aren’t any markings. It doesn’t look quite big enough for a foot. I can fit mine in there, but anyone with feet larger than a women’s size 8 would not be able to.

This odd looking hex/nut was also in the mix.
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

I don't know anyone who would knot their Stopper cords that way. Those parallel Fig 8 knots could capsize so easily. That big piece? I would bet it's homemade.

Chris Little · · Albuquerque N.M. · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
Rika J. wrote:

This odd looking hex/nut was also in the mix.

Note the obvious machining marks. Looks custom/hand made. Perhaps the first Hex ever made? Who, exactly, gave you this stuff? Are there any stories to go with it?

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

Post them up here:

Old Mystery Pro

Good luck!

My friend claims he got them at a swap meet in Moriarty. He used to be a tower climber and they came in a lot with some locking carabiners that he used for that purpose. He’s had them sitting in his basement for a long time.

Nut Tool · · Portland, OR · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

That thing is awesome! My biggest concern is the webbing pulling against those holes in the direction of a knife. Looks like a joy to rack...

Tim Watts · · Quenza, Corsica · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 30

Rika, 

Contact Stephane @  pennequin.nutstory@wanadoo.fr  . 

He probably has the world's largest collection of traditional climbing equipment and the knowledge that goes along with it.

He loves this stuff!

https://www.needlesports.com/content/nuts-museum.aspx

-Tim

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Two pieces are home made gear. The first is a piece of sheet metal that was cut, drilled, bent, and then welded. Obviously something someone though would work for wide cracks. The other piece appears to be cut from aluminum bar stock then drilled. Post up a picture of the top. Looks like some one was trying to make their own stoppers.

Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 520

I like the coffin shaped stopper. I’d be pondering the connection to the afterlife as I placed it...

Allen Sanderson wrote:

Two pieces are home made gear. The first is a piece of sheet metal that was cut, drilled, bent, and then welded. Obviously something someone though would work for wide cracks. The other piece appears to be cut from aluminum bar stock then drilled. Post up a picture of the top. Looks like some one was trying to make their own stoppers.

Here’s the top.
Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
Rika J. wrote:

Here’s the top.

As I thought, drilled with a bit of a counter sink so not to have a sharp edge. Looks to be about the same size as Chouinard #12 which was the largest stopper made.

BITD there was a fair amount of homemade gear. The sheet metal piece is the most interesting. Take it out to the crag and see how hard/easy it is to place.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Vintage Mystery Gear"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started