Mountain Project Logo

Climbing in a post modern era

Original Post
Dean O! · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

I have been climbing long enough to have seen some things. At times even done some things I wouldn't do again. 

What I don't think is right is the continual aggression towards the new climbers. Generally this a sport crag problem with a high concentration of moderates. It sort of makes me wonder if those complaining are basically the peers of the very people they're complaining about. 

I don't entertain the "back in my day" language. I've been accused on these forums and had reasonable discussion points dismissed.

Just seems like few are willing to move the needle. But what's true for me might not be true for you; but that doesn't mean anyone's wrong, either. Post modernity has changed the game. Standards are changing. We already conflate performance with accomplishment and tasteful with disgraceful. You want ethics but embrace political or social causes with either no or severely biased objective truth (both sides the aisle here). So what? This sport once heralded for the righteous as conveyed in Yosemite Uprising is nary the shadow of what it once was.

The game has changed. What are you going to do different?

Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 525

Gold!!! Fred Betsy!!! 

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Dean-o N! wrote:

I have been climbing long enough to have seen some things. At times even done some things I wouldn't do again. 

What I don't think is right is the continual aggression towards the new climbers. Generally this a sport crag problem with a high concentration of moderates. It sort of makes me wonder if those complaining are basically the peers of the very people they're complaining about. 

I don't entertain the "back in my day" language. I've been accused on these forums and had reasonable discussion points dismissed.

Just seems like few are willing to move the needle. But what's true for me might not be true for you; but that doesn't mean anyone's wrong, either. Post modernity has changed the game. Standards are changing. We already conflate performance with accomplishment and tasteful with disgraceful. You want ethics but embrace political or social causes with either no or severely biased objective truth (both sides the aisle here). So what? This sport once heralded for the righteous as conveyed in Yosemite Uprising is nary the shadow of what it once was.

The game has changed. What are you going to do different?

Solid gold.

Dean, you should put the Beckey reference back in. 

Dean O! · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

All the people complaining about the 1 bolt highball and camming devices that can't be recycle believe they too are like Fred Becky. It's just a movie. Not necessarily something for us today. Not with our Tacomas and Sprinting Van. The costs upon society would be far too great but I'm no economist.

Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 525

Is this for a creative writing class? 

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Dean-o N! wrote:

But aren't you just complaining about the new climbers who are complaining about new climbers?

Dean-o N! wrote:

All the people complaining about the 1 bolt highball and camming devices that can't be recycle believe they too are like Fred Becky. It's just a movie. Not necessarily something for us today. Not with our Tacomas and Sprinting Van. The costs upon society would be far too great but I'm no economist.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

Tell us what you took so we can avoid it.

Chad Namolik · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 2,905

Every single climber was a n00b at one time. I try and remember this when I hear the same Q’s over and over. 

People love to bash others these days. They get off on it. Sad. 

As for the poop at the crags, bad doggies, massive crowds etc., I just walk very far to climb and all the BS doesn’t follow. 

Way to have a heart Dean-o N. Keep up the good fight. 

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Chad N wrote:

Every single climber was a n00b at one time. I try and remember this when I hear the same Q’s over and over. 

People love to bash others these days. They get off on it. Sad. 

As for the poop at the crags, bad doggies, massive crowds etc., I just walk very far to climb and all the BS doesn’t follow. 

Way to have a heart Dean-o N. Keep up the good fight. 

I can attest to that, having been the noob that annoyed the shit out of this guy in the past.

Bashing and flaming the noob is easy. Having the patience and wisdom to teach noobs not to kill themselves can be pretty damn hard at times. Remember why we climb? We climb because it's difficult, not because it's easy. 

Glenn Schuler · · Monument, Co. · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,330
Dean-o N! wrote:

Just seems like few are willing to move the needle. 

Deep....... so f%#king deep. Maybe just step away from the keyboard and go climbing? 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Nothing in that post suggests that you actually know what post modernism is or were sober when you posted it.

Smeth Mick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
Ted Pinson wrote:

Nothing in that post suggests that you actually know what post modernism is or were sober when you posted it.

Word.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342
Tomily ma wrote:

Is this for a creative writing class? 

I hope not, it’s incoherent jibberish. 

J Squared · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0
Kevin Mokracek wrote:

I hope not, it’s incoherent jibberish. 

much like postmodernism!

Chad Namolik · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 2,905
eli poss wrote:

I can attest to that, having been the noob that annoyed the shit out of this guy in the past.

Bashing and flaming the noob is easy. Having the patience and wisdom to teach noobs not to kill themselves can be pretty damn hard at times. Remember why we climb? We climb because it's difficult, not because it's easy. 

Eli, annoyed? Lol, no way man. You were a great partner back in TN. I miss those days. A learning experience for both of us. Maybe a little more test of my patience but bring that sh!t on. 

Glad to see you doing so well with your climbing. I’d definitely climb w/ you again but if you’re looking for a partner for Southern Bell, forget about it, ha! 

Chad N wrote:

Eli, annoyed? Lol, no way man. You were a great partner back in TN. I miss those days. A learning experience for both of us. Maybe a little more test of my patience but bring that sh!t on. 

Glad to see you doing so well with your climbing. I’d definitely climb w/ you again but if you’re looking for a partner for Southern Bell, forget about it, ha! 

Well I'm glad to hear that. I know I short-roped the shit out of you on several occasions and that definitely sucks. And the fact that I fixed your big hex on Bomb's Away. Also learned some pretty big lessons after attempting crash position, if you know what I mean. 

Sadly enough, I came to realize that my dream of climbing southern belle just isn't realistic and that I'll have to manage with a more humble test piece. If I ever make it out to cali to climb, I'd love to hit up the valley or better yet sequoia to dodge the hordes. Some day. 

Hal Tucker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

None of this aggression actually takes place in front of the noobs you are complaining about, but rather just get cried about on the internet. Is your head going to explode when you realize you are part of this "softer" generation you complain so hard about? 1/10

Rauzer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Vitriol coming from every experienced climber for every noob is bogus.

Also bogus: unschooled noobs doing dangerous, destructive and rude things and then arguing with or blowing off the experienced climbers around him or her.

Rauzer wrote:

Also bogus: unschooled noobs doing dangerous, destructive and rude things and then arguing with or blowing off the experienced climbers around him or her.

Not true. I've seen this happen on multiple occasions. Just because you don't see doesn't mean it doesn't exist 

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

Lack of knowledge is different from lack of decorum. The former can be addressed; the latter infects climbers of all skill levels and seems to be genetic, similar to people who drive with absolutely no courtesy or regard for others. Most hostility I see is directed not at new climbers but rather at people who act like asshats at outdoor crags. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Rauzer wrote:

Rappelling off a less than 1 inch tree 4 feet up from the base is completely safe bro.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing in a post modern era"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started