Mountain Project Logo

dealing with a gaping flapper

Original Post
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

Poor skin care people my estimate is at it's thickest the skin was probably about 3mm thick,

No idea how i managed it campusing, the real question it wtf do i do about it? it's just a huge hole in my skin now, how the hell do i treat this?

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

New Skin, Skin Shield and other liquid bandages can keep it covered while it heals. 

Derek Tremblay · · Manchester, NH · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Htfu and get out the hot iron.  Shot of whiskey for you, one for the wound, then get to it 

Dan Knisell · · MA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 6,367

Cover it with some antibacterial ointment, gauze and tape. When at all possible let it get some air and breathe. Ointment will keep it supple enough to keep bending your finger while airing it out helps the healing process. This is what I do at least. 

Product called Climb Skin seems to help me prevent those injuries. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I don't think the wound qualifies as a "flapper."

FrankPS wrote:

I don't think the wound qualifies as a "flapper."

It was a flapper, I cut off the flap of skin pretty much immediately since I had no tape and was only an hour into the session. 

Eric wrote:

Why you so pink?

2 hour walk in the rain made them very red. 

Desert Monkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 5

If your looking for a solution to heal it while you are going to be climbing hard and frequently I would let it dry out when not climbing and when you are maybe wrap it in dry gauze and put duct tape over that cause you don't want to break the new skin. Putting a bunch of ointment on it will keep it soft and if you climb hard it will be soggy and never heal.  Climbing hard could keep breaking the new skin as well. Keep it dry.  If you have time to let it heal for a few days without climbing it should be strong enough skin that you could just put some kind of protective wrap over while climbing to prevent your new skin breaking.

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260

Just tape the finger when you're going to climb? If you tape it, it'll heal even if you climb on it.

If you're being delicate about it, put something on top of the flapper itself for when you're going to pull out the tape...

dave custer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 2,411

Tagaderm

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-transparent-film-dressings/ID=prod6216524-product?ext=gooPLA_-_Health_Care&pla&adtype=pla_with_promotion&kpid=sku6189254&sst=70904c01-68f9-4974-a6aa-4be07d6f050f

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/nexcare-tegaderm-transparent-dressings-assorted/ID=prod6329622-product?ext=gooPLA_-_Health_Care&pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6276192&sst=70904c01-68f9-4974-a6aa-4be07d6f050f

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "dealing with a gaping flapper"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started