Mountain Project Logo

Mandatory helmets in the gym?!

Original Post
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

I have heard that the insurance company that insures most gyms is considering requiring all users to wear helmets including bouldering, top roping, and leading. Anyone else get wind of that? You may think I'm trolling but this came from a credible source.

Rob Gordon · · Hollywood, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 115

This is the best troll ever. 

Nick Baker · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 86

Gotta watch out for those falling spinners.

pfwein Weinberg · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2006 · Points: 71

What's the insurance company?  We'll ask them.

R E R · · Southern California · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,930

Have you heard of this? Have you seen this? Helmets while bouldering? I've been to plenty of gyms that do not even go over basic spotting.

Peter J · · Bishop · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 646

8/10

Beean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

Next they're gonna make us wear shirts too.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

cite your source

Nick Baker · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 86
Beean wrote:

Next they're gonna make us wear shirts too.

Only for top roping.  You have to get your lead card to take your shirt off.

Alexander Blum · · Livermore, CA · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 143

This is getting boring 

John Wilder wrote:

Negatory, ghost rider. That's not how gym insurance works.

Actually it does. Do you remember the orientation fiasco?

Edit: I concede that you are right to a point, they aren't going to walk in and declare that everyone must wear helmets now but I think it's obvious that insurance companies have a vested interest and take actions to influence the safety practices in the businesses they insure. 

I can't say who my source is because it could compromise their privacy and livelihood.

Kyle Edmondson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 250
Tradiban wrote:

I have heard that the insurance company that insures most gyms is considering requiring all users to wear helmets including bouldering, top roping, and leading. Anyone else get wind of that? You may think I'm trolling but this came from a credible source.

Well, I looked at who posted, so it does not come from a credible source.

Jeff Luton · · It's complicated · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

Do they go over the beanie or under it?

John Wilder wrote:

I'd argue with you, but I'm pretty sure you'd be having more fun than me. 

Ha! So you are learning then :)

I thought about posting this under a different user name because I figured y'all would think it was a troll but I don't have time to create a new email and username blah, blah blah.

Are there any gyms out there that currently require helmets? I've heard of some but never actually encountered it. I know that "Sender City" and the existing "Funtopia"s do but that part of those gyms is just a tourist attraction.

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

My gym banned the use of ATC for lead belaying. I think that's about the same level of crazy as requiring everyone to wear helmets. 

Nick Thomas · · Duluth, MN · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 35

Dude, it’s not April 1 yet.

bernard wolfe · · birmingham, al · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 265

not a bad idea, from a common sense standpoint

i would be curious to see the injury data that such a decision is based on though

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

I've worked for 2 climbing gyms and from what I can recall of my most recent perusal of their accident logs the vast majority (over 80%) of injuries are ankle injuries (bouldering falls), followed by injuries to some other part of the leg, followed by injuries to some part of the arm, followed by injuries to some part of the torso.

I can only recall ONE head injury: "Accidentally punched herself in the eye during lead fall"

So how much of a difference would wearing a helmet in the gym actually make in terms of injury prevention?

Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 525

What is a good first trad rack for mock leading in the gym? 

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45
Tomily ma wrote:

What is a good first trad rack for mock leading in the gym? 

Totem cams, of course!

Khoi wrote:

I've worked for 2 climbing gyms and from what I can recall of my most recent perusal of their accident logs the vast majority (over 80%) of injuries are ankle injuries (bouldering falls), followed by injuries to some other part of the leg, followed by injuries to some part of the arm, followed by injuries to some part of the torso.

I can only recall ONE head injury: "Accidentally punched herself in the eye during lead fall"

So how much of a difference would wearing a helmet in the gym actually make in terms of injury prevention?

Not all injuries are equal. Yes, most injuries are as you describe, head injuries might occur less often but their cost is higher.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Mandatory helmets in the gym?!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started