Mountain Project Logo

2 days climbing - Where do you recommend climbing between Chattanooga, TN and Asheville, NC?

Original Post
feder04 · · Brooklyn, New York · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

The first week of April I'll be heading down  with my girlfriend to Chatanooga, TN; Asheville, NC and then on to Shenandoah National Park. We'll be spending 3 days in each area and I'm hoping we can get in one or two days of climbing. Does anyone have any recommendations for some areas in Chattanooga or Asheville? I'll have my trad and sport gear with me. Something that is easily accessible would be great so that we can make use of the limited time.

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Woot!

Paddy O'Hulk · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 45
Will Maness · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 115

T-Wall in Chattanooga, Rumbling Bald or Looking Glass near Asheville, or Shortoff Mountain (less than 1.5 hours east of Asheville)!

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,190

April is turkey hunting season. Tennessee Wall will be closed to climbing April 3–8, 11–13, 19–21, 24–29 for managed hunts. If you want trad around Chattanooga on those dates you can try Sunset Park as long as it isn't too cold. (Sunset faces northwest and doesn't get much sun.)

Patrick Wilder · · Poncha Springs · Joined May 2015 · Points: 45

I would say go to looking glass from Asheville. Fairly accessible, and can get some great routes in in a day or two. In Chatt I think Leda is underated. Very small, but extremely convenient. great for a late start or half day

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "2 days climbing - Where do you recommend climbi…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started