Mountain Project Logo

Marc Andre Leclerc and Ryan Johnson missing in Alaska

Original Post
ChrisMurphy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0
Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86

Fuck. Hope they get found in good condition.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

Shit! Fingers crossed!

Bryan · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 457

My thoughts are with them. Here's hoping everybody returns home safely.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

"neither man has a satellite phone or emergency beacon, according to the dispatch."

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

Hoping for the best!

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

Damn it!  :(

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

"Expected back Wednesday, they were last heard from on Monday from the top of the Towers."

It's Friday morning, that's 2 days overdue.  It would be awesome if they were located today.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Nick Sweeney wrote:

"Expected back Wednesday, they were last heard from on Monday from the top of the Towers."

It's Friday morning, that's 2 days overdue.  It would be awesome if they were located today.

Agreed! I came within 15 minutes of having to call in my son once. I can't imagine sweating it out for 48 hours after you've made the call. My thoughts are with everyone, the missing, family, friends, searchers....

Best, OLH

Stephen Young · · Juneau, AK / Eugene, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0
Chris Owen · · Seattle · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
AndrewArroz wrote:

"neither man has a satellite phone or emergency beacon, according to the dispatch."

Both of those won't exactly help much if you are burried in the snow, which is most likely what happened...

DesertRat · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 196

Still no updates that I can find. Praying for a good outcome!!!

James Field · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 2,144

Juneau Mountain Rescue Update

Press Release for 3/10/18

Juneau Mountain Rescue (JMR) continues to work with the Alaska State Troopers on the search for missing climbers Marc-Andre Leclerc and Ryan Johnson. Current weather conditions are severely hampering efforts to re-fly the area. On Thursday, March 8, the day the search began, four helicopter flights with search teams on board were deployed. Passes were made of the climbers’ planned Mendenhall Glacier exit route, along with their probable ascent and descent routes on the Mendenhall Towers. Both FLIR and RECCO were used to survey the area. The climber’s cache of gear that was not needed for the climb, which included skis, poles and a backpack, was located during those efforts, but deteriorating weather conditions limited further access. The United States Coast Guard and JMR attempted to access the area again Friday, March 9, but were turned around by foul weather. JMR crews spent Saturday, March 10 on weather hold at the Alaska Army National Guard aviation operations facility where the Guard flight crew has a helicopter prepared to fly when conditions allow. During the weather hold JMR has continued to work with friends and family of both climbers to establish a timeline of the climber’s activities. The National Weather Service has consistently provided weather status and forecast support for the search. All teams continue to look for the first available weather window to get back into the field.

Nick Ludwig · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 505

Not sure if this violates the Mountain Projects community's guidelines for posting.  The link below is the Go Fund Me that has been set up to help aid in the costs for the search and rescue efforts to find Marc Andre and Ryan Johnson.

https://www.gofundme.com/592fn8w

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Most recent update: Helicopters were able to conduct a search of possible descent routes on the South Side of the Mendehall Towers on Sunday during a 2-hour weather window. Recent slide activity was noted on the North side of the towers.

Things are looking grim.  They have been out for a long time.  Hoping for a good outcome.

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 177

In addition to the Go Fund Me posted above, a second one has been set up to help pay for (in addition to S&R fees) a care/life/college fund for Ryan's 2.5 year old son, in the event of a worst case outcome. Seeing as how this is day 6 of the search, and it has been over a week since Marc and Ryan have made contact, the worst case scenario is looking more like a reality. If you can, please consider helping out.

https://www.gofundme.com/ryanandmilo 

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781
DCarey wrote:

In addition to the Go Fund Me posted above, a second one has been set up to help pay for (in addition to S&R fees) a care/life/college fund for Ryan's 2.5 year old son, in the event of a worst case outcome. Seeing as how this is day 6 of the search, and it has been over a week since Marc and Ryan have made contact, the worst case scenario is looking more like a reality. If you can, please consider helping out.

https://www.gofundme.com/ryanandmilo 

Oh my god, those pictures just made me cry at work.  I know it is very unlikely, but I really hope by some miracle they are ok.  

Stephen Young · · Juneau, AK / Eugene, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Could see the towers this morning. Looks like good weather for searching today. Hoping for the best! 

MisterE Wolfe · · Grass Valley, CA · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 8,092

RIP Ryan & Marc-Andre:

https://www.gofundme.com/592fn8w

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

Oh no! So very sad to hear. RIP.

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 177

A nice eulogy for Marc written by Brandon Pullan.

https://gripped.com/news/canadian-marc-andre-leclerc-has-passed-away-at-24/

I've been in awe of Marc for several years now. His solo of the Emperor Face still blows me away. 

I didn't know much about Ryan, but I hold climbers who balance parenting and sending hard in the highest regard. 

RIP guys. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Marc Andre Leclerc and Ryan Johnson missing in…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.