Mountain Project Logo

Now the damn gym is going to the dogs!

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Nick Sweeney wrote:

I really hope these types of posts stop.  Pointless threads like this are what has caused Supertopo to become an annoying cesspool of trolling.

This seems like the appropriate time to mention all the animals mentioned thus far are edible........ ;)

A C · · Your moms house · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 185

Denver Bouldering Club has had dogs for awhile now and its great! Nothing better than chilling with a pooch while you train

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Nick Sweeney wrote:

I really hope these types of posts stop.  Pointless threads like this are what has caused Supertopo to become an annoying cesspool of trolling.

I have been a long term lurker of supertopo and I don’t think Supertopo has a “trolling” problem.

supertopo has a user problem. It is the same old group that traps themselves in political debates and is unwelcoming of new users.  They accuse new users of trolling if they post something they don’t agree with.  The lack of a forum update is telling that they aren’t interested in attracting new users.  Supertopo needs to be considered as a retirement home for old hardmen, they got some great stories to tell and have some climbing wisdom but if you are young, you can’t live there until you have done your time.

It can be a bad place but it has enough good threads to be worth revisiting.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
simplyput . wrote:

Another 'artist' with classic                    Look At Me-itis.

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

Im laughing so hard about the emotional support peacock and the hamster flushing! Holy hell! What is wrong with people? 

Here is another bizarre animal story:

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2018/03/investigation-underway-after-science-teacher-feeds-dog-to-turtle-in-front-of-students/

And yeah... Im against dogs at the gym, even more than youth climbing teams.  

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25
jg fox wrote:

Yeah I had the same mentality until I got guilted into adopting one, though there are a lot of bad owners.  At least my dog behaved the one (and only) time I brought him to Echo Cliffs.

If you like running but are sluggish in the morning, they make awesome motivators.

Haha I think I was at Echo the day you brought that dog. Was it the 7ish year old dog you had to haul in and out? Super cute and well behaved, did not strike me as a the ideal crag dog however...

Sam Cieply wrote:

Haha I think I was at Echo the day you brought that dog. Was it the 7ish year old dog you had to haul in and out? Super cute and well behaved, did not strike me as a the ideal crag dog however...

Look familiar? I was there right before New Years, he was getting hot hanging out there so I had to get him back to the car.  He had a gallon of water for himself and went through it.  I didn’t do my research and realize the crag is south facing, has narrow ledges, and a scramble that required me lifting him at one point. I did watch him climb low fifth class terrain though.  He calmly watched people climb and was quiet the whole time. Not bad for a then 15 month year old dog.

Another person was suppose to show up with her two dogs, I couldn’t imagine having three dogs at the same place at Echo Cliffs.

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25
jg fox wrote:

Look familiar? I was there right before New Years, he was getting hot hanging out there so I had to get him back to the car.  He had a gallon of water for himself and went through it.  I didn’t do my research and realize the crag is south facing, has narrow ledges, and a scramble that required me lifting him at one point. I did watch him climb low fifth class terrain though.  He calmly watched people climb and was quiet the whole time. Not bad for a then 15 month year old dog.

Anothet person was suppose to show up with her two dogs, I couldn’t imagine having three dogs at the same place at Echo Cliffs.

Different white guy with dog, yours is cuter!

Other guy knows who he is though... that friggin dog had to rope up for the hike out.

Fredrik Ehne · · Stockholm, Sweden · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0
AndrewArroz wrote:

Someone get it a radio. Or teach it to use rope tugs?

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

If all dogs were this cute I believe they could go anywhere.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Tradiban wrote:

If all dogs were this cute I believe they could go anywhere.

Now I know you're trolling. All dogs ARE that cute, Tradiban.

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

I don't like climbing gyms.......but I would probably start going if they had coffee shop/dog parks attached to them where I could have a cup of coffee and let my dog hang out. I might even bring some climbing shoes from time to time, get amped on caffeine and let my dog bark while I climb....... ;)

Deirdre · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 21

In all seriousness, I think bringing your dog to the gym isn't a great idea. You love your dog and that's great, but there are people who are afraid of dogs or really allergic to dogs. Outside, it is possible to move to avoid dogs, but in the gym the options are much more limited. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Jake Jones wrote:

Oh no, not the GYM!  I've noticed only the cool people get to bring their dogs.  Route setter?  Cool.  Yoga instructor?  Cool.  5.10 bro- sorry man, you're gonna have to leave that thing at home.

Yes, it was definitely one of the "cool" people. Chill dog, got love all day from "the ladies" but it's "all good" until that wild animal bites a kid, then it's "He's never bitten anyone before!". That's what those people always say isn't it? Unless you're blind your dog shouldn't be allowed anywhere but your personal property or on a leash on public property. 

Kevin R · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2008 · Points: 290
Nick Sweeney wrote:

Lighten up.  Don't take Mountain Project threads so seriously man.  Not every tread has to be "What do you think of my new anchor set up?", or "Which pack should I get for cragging?"  It's OK for some threads to be about random topics, bitch sessions, or go off on a tangent a bit.  My guess is there is actually far less actual "trolling" than you perceive there to be.  My guess is that most of what you see as "trolling" is more often than not, just sarcasm that went over your head, or just someone that has a wildly different sense of humor than you so you didn't pick up on the joke.  That doesn't make it "trolling".   It's very rare that someone posts something on MP and just gets ripped to shreds for it, personal attacks, and that sort of thing.   For the most part it's a supportive community with a lot of good knowledge to share.  Enjoying a little comedy and sarcasm while you absorb that knowledge is ok.  

This thread's about an "emotional support peacock".  OK.  Perhaps not a great thread for some dry analysis of the pros and cons of someone's new anchor set up, but it doesn't mean it can't lead to some legitimate points about people abusing the "emotional support" status of their pets just to take them into public places.  It should also be noted that a legitimate point can be made with a joke or sarcastic comment.  

Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are "trolling" you.

Tradiban wrote:

Yes, it was definitely one of the "cool" people. Chill dog, got love all day from "the ladies" but it's "all good" until that wild animal bites a kid, then it's "He's never bitten anyone before!". That's what those people always say isn't it? Unless you're blind your dog shouldn't be allowed anywhere but your personal property or on a leash on public property. 

9/10

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started