Mountain Project Logo

wind rivers early season

Original Post
Curt Haire · · leavenworth, wa · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 1

looking for info.  hoping for a Wind Rivers trip this summer, fantasizing early season, as snow is going off.   asking someone with local experience to help estimate optimal time window.  don't mind camping/traveling on high snow, but would like to see approach trails mostly snow free.  I'm on academic calendar, finish work mid-June.  fantasizing late-June - early July.  objective is to be there before the bugs and crowds become overwhelming.. thanks for any helpl

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Better love mozzies! They are extraordinary that time of year.

meaning June is too late?

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Mid June no bugs

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120
Curt Haire wrote:

meaning June is too late?

Varies year to year, but typically by mid-late June your going to be swarmed. (BTW, no BS. I have spent cumulatively more than 2 years backpacking, camping and climbing in the WR range)

thanks, Hick, that's what I wanted to know.  I'm old enough to remember when June was still winter at 6000',   oh-well...

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 225

Bugs? If you’re able to hike around, you’re dealing with them.

People? If you’re able to hike around, you’re dealing with them.

If you go to Tittycomb Basin, you’re gonna be sure to run into other people, and the bugs are going to be horrendous.

Even when there’s still snow present, if the air temp is high enough, you’re gonna have mosquitoes. They usually don’t calm down until mid August. For perspective, the city sprays in town usually the second to third week in June.

Keep in mind, were having a pretty average snow year. The mountains will open up earlier, therefore the bugs will be out earlier.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "wind rivers early season"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started