Mountain Project Logo

Stuff you don't NEED, learn from our mistakes

Original Post
hangontightly letgolightly · · Unknown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 10

What did you buy early on that you thought you needed, but ended up either useless or unnecessary? Hoping we can save noobs some $$$

I'll start: Two way radios for multi pitch climbing. When my partner and I started doing multi pitch routes we recognized an issue with communication around corners and below roofs, etc.. The first thought was to get some radios, but quickly learned they can't get around the corners any better than our voices. Rope tugs have proved to be the answer and they are free fifty free.

JD · · Southern AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

A Grigri

H Lue · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 10
OrganicChemistry wrote:

A Grigri

Meh.. Not absolutely necessary but pretty freaking great. 

I would say.. Extremely aggressive shoes. You aren't going to get the full benefit of the shoes on easy and moderate routes you'll be climbing. You'll just be tearing up a pair of expensive shoes. 

Justin Barrett · · Russellville, AR · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 88

A figure 8. Learning how to rappel with the boy scouts, I thought this was the only way to do it. Then I learned that your trusty ATC can do it just fine, and it's lighter. Or you can ascend to Munter level for further weight savings!

Or a piss-ton of lockers. I was in the mindset that if I really needed a piece to hold, it needed a locker. Now I only carry 4.

OrganicChemistry wrote:

A Grigri

Interesting, is this in context of lead belaying specifically? I actually use my Grigri a lot for belaying the second up while attached to the anchor. I've considered a tube device with guide mode, but then again, more gear... 

Thinking about this a bit more, I would probably recommend noobs hold off on a Grigri initially so they learn how to belay properly from the start, but I still use mine in certain instances. 

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

Hexes. Placed them often my first year and now I almost never rack them. 

I disagree with the Grigri. I love mine and use it all the time. 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Figure 8. Hexes. Trango Alpine Equalizer.

I'd also say resist the temptation to mix and match many different kinds of cams. Just pick one brand and get enough (IMO doubles) of the key sizes.

Agree about too many lockers and good point about aggressive shoes. Nobody needs a pair of Shamans who is just doing V1 boulders and 5.10 gym TR. 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Belay devices. Use a hip belay you gumbies.

Xan Calonne · · Yucca Valley · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 61

Any belay device that's not a GriGri. 

JD · · Southern AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95
AndrewArroz wrote:

If this happened, my reply would have been different 

Peter Lewis · · Bridgton, ME · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 165

I second the overly-aggressive shoes comment. Tight means snug but too snug is dumb. It's just not worth the pain. If you absolutely have to take your shoes off at each belay, they're probably too tight. Trying to redpoint your hardest little clip-up? Sure, go as tight as you want. But also invest in some shoes that you can wear all day and still crank pretty hard.

Ryan Maitland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 10

A dedicated tether, or PAS thong. Just use the rope or slings already on your harness...

I'm hesitant to say PAS, but I don't think I would buy one again if I had the chance. You should invest in some slings and can use those to anchor in, in addition to the rope clove hitched as a backup.

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488

Hexes.

Ryan Maitland wrote:

A dedicated tether, or PAS thong. Just use the rope or slings already on your harness...

Great minds...? We literally typed that at the same time it appears.

Ryan Maitland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 10
pga26 wrote:

Great minds...? We literally typed that at the same time it appears.

Indeed! 

Thankfully I never bought one, but have many friends that use them to my chagrin. A friend last weekend was sketched out by my use of a dyneema runner as my rappel extension vs his PAS, as "it looked so thin". It's all the same.

Rock Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 179

Hexes for sure are pointless. hard to say what was a waste of money. Sling can work for PAS, ATC is $12 over $100 Gri Gri, but I love both of them and wouldnt use the other now that i own it. 

AGREE with lockers, i own way too many now and only need 4-6, instead of the dozen i own that get no use. 

Go cheaper on shoes and harness ... everything else is worth the money

jg fox wrote:

Belay devices. Use a hip belay you gumbies.

I climb on occasion with an old skool dood who looks at our tubers with disdain while he hip belays and raps using four ancient oval biners.

Nick Baker · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 86

Anti cross loading belay lockers. They are a pita and not necessary.   Get a nice big autolocking hms biner (triple action or magnetron. Not dual action like twistlock, you are better off with a screw gate in that case) and call it good.

ShanJ2me · · Black Hills, SD · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,145

Here we go...................

Tri-cams

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Stuff you don't NEED, learn from our mistakes"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started