Mountain Project Logo

Rope for easy sport and trad

Original Post
MyFeetHurt · · Glenwood, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 10

What is a good rope for easy cragging, sport and trad? I use all mammut stuff for ice and Alpine, but now I need to replace my general workhorse cragging rope. No need to be super thin. I really like the dual weave but they are super expensive from mammut. What others handle nice? For reference, I use an Eternity and an Infinity for my more ice and Alpine pursuits. I'm not projecting stuff.

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 40

You already use the two most people are gonna recommend. Blue water and Beal both have similarly good handling. But on price mammut typically beats both unless unicore or dry treatments are what you are looking for, then they are all pretty even.

MyFeetHurt · · Glenwood, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 10

No need for dry treatment, but i might be interested in unicore. Anyone have useful feedback on unicore?

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

You can get that BD 9.9mm 60m on sale for like $115, which is pretty hard to beat. It's a decent cord too, seems to provide a good catch and handles more smoothly than other ropes of a similar diameter.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

9.8 edelried boa can be had cheap, has good handling, sheath is as durable as mammut in my experience. Two seasons of heavy use, guessing around 600 pitches, sheath is still in good shape and I use the rope for instructing. Retired it for project duty because it started to stiffen up after heavy use projecting sport.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

Mammut Gravity 10.1mm will last forever.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

I use a Tendon rope as my gym rope and it takes a beating and keeps going and going...

K T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Anyone use or recommend a Sterling rope?  Or are they generally considered too pricey?

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
K T wrote:

Anyone use or recommend a Sterling rope?  Or are they generally consider too pricey?

Their dynamic ropes are only ~$20 more than the Mammut for equivalent length and thickness ropes, so the price isn't really a big factor. But the Mammut ropes feel more supple and flow more smoothly through devices. I can't speak to the durability of the Sterling Ropes (I've used them but never owned one) but the Mammut ones are very durable. So I've not really found a reason to switch.

I like some of Sterling's other products (the Hollow Block is amazing and 5.9mm Power Cord is very light for 19kN) so it's nothing I have against the company. I don't think you'd be unhappy with a Sterling Rope, I just like the Mammut ones better.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

You can buy a 60M Mammut Eternity or Infinity right now for about $120 on Backcountry. They're great ropes. You already like them. Mine have lasted really well. 

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

I've had pretty good experiences with edelrid and beal ropes. My roomate has had a very crappy experience with Edelweiss ropes, and I know they've had issues in the past with defective yarns. I'll second the recommendation for the edelrid boa 9.8mmm rope. I got one 5 years ago as my first rope and she's still going strong.

After around 3-4 years it started to get kinda fat, like into the 10-10.2mm range, but this will happen with all ropes.

If you want a unicore rope, I've used the 9.7mm rope from beal (I think it's the beal booster) for 2 years now. It handles like a dream and has held up much better than some other thicker ropes that partners have had, like the mammut 9.8mm and the aforementioned edelweiss 9.8mm rope. 

Toria V · · Boulder · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 15

I used a sterling evolution 10.2 dry core for four seasons, granted I don't whip on it and its not always my rope being used, but it's been great and I'm happy with how it handles.  Never got stiff, never got a squishy spot, and yes it's gotten rained on a few times!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Rope for easy sport and trad"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started