Mountain Project Logo

50s-something partner - Tradding out West

Original Post
Glenn Wiedenhoeft · · ames, IA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

I’d love to spend a few days on multi-pitch trad climbs anywhere from CO to MT summer 2018. “Mild” difficultly desired; I lead 5.7 confidently at Devils Lake, and I’m training to achieve 5.8. Enjoy the art and science of placing pro. I’m considering hiring a Guide in order to get local knowledge in some desirable  area, but if *you* have such familiarity, let’s talk. Not looking for weather/wilderness/route finding epics, but happy to get off the beaten path with high exposure.

History: learned climbing in the 70s with the UW-Madison Hoofers at DL and Eldorado Springs CO, and mountaineering in the Cascades w Ray Smutek (sp?), then-time editor of Off Belay magazine. Somewhat active in indoor scene the past few years in Iowa. 

I’m getting older, but not a “has-been” quite yet!

Paul Kuenn · · Appleton · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 70

Hey Glenn!

Wow, Off Belay Mag... I still have a pile of those. I do try to get into the Bighorns every year (37 years and about 46 FAs). I may be booked up this summer with other trips but I never know when I can sneak something in. If your looking for a rock or ice climbing partner from DL north, just send me an e-mail. Arthritis has slowed me down so 5.6-8s are perfect but still doing hard ice due to easy tools nowadays.  I'm on the left at Bomber Peak SE cirque. I ran my DE from Devil's Lake for 28 years and was the only AMGA accredited guide service in the Midwest. No longer guiding but love to share my knowledge for a better climbing experience and to stay in practice. Cheers, PK 

Glenn Wiedenhoeft · · ames, IA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

Thanks Paul and Tim! 

I hope to talk with you sometime soon about possibilities! Very encouraging to read your responses. 

Terrible Terry · · Pinedale,Wy · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 0

Glenn, or anyone else, Plan on heading to Red Rocks, Nv. in April stay as long as I can find partners.

Midwest Will · · ann arbor, MI · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 151

heading to moab/Indian creek in a week  or two if anyone is interested 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest Partners
Post a Reply to "50s-something partner - Tradding out West"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.