Mountain Project Logo

Norway in early May

Original Post
Alice X · · New York, NY · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 10

Hey folks! I'm looking for any advice on finding guides or generous souls for some top rope/sport climbing in and around Bergen, Stavanger, Oslo, or Sogndal, May 6 through May 12. 

I'm not a particularly experienced outdoor climber and no leading experience (although looking to start in on that learning process), hence looking for people to climb with. I wanted to try with Breogfjell, but it looks like they don't start going out until June. Have the basics, would want to rent the rest. My budget is around $150 (kr 1170).

If all else fails, I'll find a boulder.

If you've got tips or leads, let me know! I'll have a car and a phone, so majorly flexible, just not, you know, experienced.

Jacob Bretz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 45

Hey Alice, I’m actually living in northern Norway until late June or so. I’m quite a ways away from the areas you’ll be visiting (like 20 hours by car), but if you happen to find yourself up by Bodø/Lofoten let me know.

If you can’t find a partner on MP, you might want to try to get in contact with the DNT. They’re a national organization that plans all sorts of outdoor trips. They may have more beta on things down there. If all else fails, check FB for Bergen/Oslo/whatever Klatreklubb—Norwegians basically do everything on Facebook. Good luck and happy climbing!

Thank you thank you! My dream was to go to Lofoten for a polar & alpine adventure, but we only have so much time. I'll look into the DNT more seriously, it's def come up in my searches.

I was super intimidated by the Bergen Klattreklub, seems like more for locals & experts but I guess it's worth DMing, if you say so.

If you happen to find yourself in Western Norway in early May, also let me know. 

Mike K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Lofoten is amazing. I went there last year. Just hiking, but amazing views.

When you are in Oslo, and have time, check out Besseggen Ridge (it's a scramble). You can catch a bus to Beitostolen, maybe 4 hours, and then I think there is transport to the ferry for the hike. You can do 1 way, 8 miles, and enjoy the views Norway is famous for. I know someone there who may get more beta on how to get there. I also know someone close to Rjukan, I ice climb there, but not sure about hikes. 

Another thing you can try is mountain biking on the gravel and dirt roads that are used for x ski during the winter. You can do for 100's of miles, because those trails connect.

In Oslo, take the metro to Sognsvann station, from there you can hike in the hills/forest, it's pretty. You can hike one way to another metro station, I forget the name. 

I did hear about a crag in Oslo, but not sure where it is. 

Let me know if you need more ideas.

Thanks Mike! I'll add Sognsvann to the list, but it looks like my travelling companions are dead set on Jostedalsbreen, which cuts our time is Oslo to one day.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Norway in early May"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started