Mountain Project Logo

Anyone know where this picture is from? Looks pretty rad

Original Post
Nick Gibson · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493
Nick Gibson · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0

Thanks for sharing that. I was hoping it was somewhere in the US!

How did you know where this was? 

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

Yeah. I could see that stuff shearing off and killing people on an hourly basis. 

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493
Nick Gibson wrote:

Thanks for sharing that. I was hoping it was somewhere in the US!

How did you know where this was? 

Those basalt columns are somewhat famous. I compared the photo you posted to the route photo of Pixelization and was sorta surprised to see the same exact line. I figured your photo was likely one of the more aesthetic lines overall, and there was a good chance one of the more aesthetic routes would be listed

aka nerdy boredom

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Brian Abram wrote:

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/107317326/armenia

I believe it’s the route Pixelization:

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/107348910/pixelization

Climbing is now banned there

If you follow the link to "Up the Rocks" on the Armenia page above, the info about the ban is pretty interesting.

Basically, that climbing organization is the one that made the decision to stop climbing. It became apparent that bolting harmed the rocks, so they went to only anchors. Then, that was deemed too much impact, and the put in v threads for anchors. 

It was hoped that would discourage climbing, and limit impacts, but it did not, and (it sounds like) bolts were being put in anyway. Thus, climbers apparently are responsible for effing themselves entirely out of climbing there. Oops.

All the above is merely my paraphrase of "Up the Rocks" statements. I'm sure there's more to it, but I found it interesting, and sobering, too. International climbing, ignoring local wishes, seems to be to blame.

Gee. Where have we heard that before? Personally, I'd prefer to keep our access, locally, and not lose it due to some yahoo's ignorance.

Best, OLH

OP, there is a lot of columnar basalt in the western U.S., but, I don't remember the "ends" in the air like this. It's also rather small (diameter) columns. I think you can find elements of what you see in the picture at quite a few places, though. 

Just Solo · · Colorado Springs · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 80

Oh cool! Looks like a vertical feather!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Anyone know where this picture is from? Looks p…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started