Mountain Project Logo

Road to LG climbing areas closed?

Original Post
Bryce Bentz · · Gatlinburg, TN · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

I went up to looking glass today but both sides of fs road 275 were closed. Is that typical for early March? Not sure if I missed something or if it’s common knowledge that the lg road is closed...

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

Yes. It has been closed for a while now. It’s weather dependent and also depends on how much damage was done to the road before they closed it. Tthere was an issue this year with people cutting the locks off the gates and driving the roads that likely hasn’t helped. 

The main issue is that ranger district hardly has any funds for road repair, but a lot of road to repair. Once we get a good dry spell they will assess and see about reopening.  We keep the closure updates on the CCC site. Click on closures in the menu or go to https://carolinaclimbers.org/closures

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

Word is that the road damage done by those who cut the locks will make repairing the road and reopening it happen much less soon

Will Maness · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 115

Just hoof it!   

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Still closed as of March 4.   For the southside, the hike is not bad.  Irony is, the damage being done by all the cars parking outside the gate is significant.

Benandstuff · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 571

People cutting the locks is such a shame, and pisses me off. I bet they cut switchbacks, too.

Were those responsible caught? Does the forest service have any systems in place to prevent this from happening?

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10
Russ Keane wrote:

Still closed as of March 4.   For the southside, the hike is not bad.  Irony is, the damage being done by all the cars parking outside the gate is significant.

Park at the fish hatchery instead. They have plenty of parking. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Road to LG climbing areas closed?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started