Mountain Project Logo

New Profile Page

Original Post
Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

I just noticed that the a new profile page was rolled out.  Thanks for all the hard work to the folks in the back!  You are all the real heroes of MP!

Brian Prince · · reno · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 2,727

fwiw, which is not much, i gotta say i am not a fan. when creeping on fellow climbers, it's nice to have all info on one page, not separate tabs.. also most people do not use the tick and/or to-do features and so having this info show up first seems not ideal. comments people have made are usually the kinda thing i'm after

also, one can no longer view compliments? also, how does one even compliment a route or area page now?

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

Compliments were so rarely used that I decided to kill that feature entirely - that happened late last fall, though you could still see the old ones on the old user page until last week.

I was on the fence about showing the "Out There" stuff as the default tab, versus the "Contributions" (which would be more similar to the old site).  And to be clear, not remotely all data was shown on one tab on the old page - different bits of data were compared to the new one.

Here's some data that helped make my decision:

Out There: 52,000 users have a to-do list.  47,000 have ticks.

Contributions: 10,000 have added a route.  5,000 have added an area.  28,000 have added a comment.

So there's many more users with interesting tick/to-do data than have made route/area contributions, and twice as many as who have commented.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

Yeah, but what was the order of magnitude greater female users received compliments? I can’t decide who is being sexist here!

Brian Prince · · reno · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 2,727

Thanks for the insight. I think while many more users have a few ticks and to-dos (i have a couple), most do not use it regularly (me). and I guess I just don't care about other's ticks/to dos anyway. but I'm sure you're right, and i'll get used to it. thanks again :) 

Taylor Spiegelberg · · WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1,676

I think the new profile section that shows "ticks" needs to tighten up. It's way to large and way too white.

Also, on the "Route Contributions" page, you can no longer see if the route you added was an FA of yours, a feature I liked! Can you guys bring that back?

Acmesalute76 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 71

Is there an option to change the tick breakdown chart? It used to show 10-, 10, 10+, etc, and now it just shows 10. I would have rather it changed to 10a, 10b, etc (although I guess that presents a problem for cracks). 

Basically I'd rather be able to see more granularity vs saving space to show how many 13's and 14's I haven't done. 

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926

Hi Nick,

I am with some of the others here in that it there was more usable info in the prior version. The biggest issue for me is that you can't see the grades, ticks, and recent routes that each user climbs. 

It is possible that this is going to sound elitist and d*ckish, but so be it, its the truth. When I see comments from user 'X' who says, "This route was runout and scary" or "This route was easy for the grade", then my next course of action is to check their profile if I don't know their username already. The old way I could easily check their profile to see what they have done and what types of routes they climb. 

For example, if Slim says, "yeah, the 3rd pitch on 'blah' was puckering", then I know I need to take it seriously. In contrast, if some perhaps well-meaning, but green individual with a grand total of fifteen 5.9's under their belt says "This 5.10 is scary 5.11 and needs more bolts!!", then I take it less seriously. Thus that info really was greatly useful. Shoot, its one of the big ways that I have gotten to know certain "names" here on Mtn Prj when assessing a route. Its a total sanity check.

The "route stars", "recent routes", "ticks", and "grades climbs" were ALL SUPER USEFUL. Please, please, please bring that info back.

Thanks Nick. Cheers.

Kent Pease · · Littleton, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,066

What happened to the "Lead" and "Follow" ratings - they are no longer shown for most users? Although the appropriate boxes are checked in my personal profile, the ratings don't show up on my personal page viewed by the public.

Not a fan of the new layout. The page is dominated by features I don't use. Not all changes are improvements.

normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 110
Nick Wilder wrote:

Compliments were so rarely used that I decided to kill that feature entirely - that happened late last fall, though you could still see the old ones on the old user page until last week.

I was on the fence about showing the "Out There" stuff as the default tab, versus the "Contributions" (which would be more similar to the old site).  And to be clear, not remotely all data was shown on one tab on the old page - different bits of data were compared to the new one.

Here's some data that helped make my decision:

Out There: 52,000 users have a to-do list.  47,000 have ticks.

Contributions: 10,000 have added a route.  5,000 have added an area.  28,000 have added a comment.

So there's many more users with interesting tick/to-do data than have made route/area contributions, and twice as many as who have commented.

Nick,

I agree with Brian in that I don’t care about others to do lists. Under present format it would be more efficient if you did not have to hit “More about”, but I much more prefer the compactness of the old format which allowed one to get more info at a glance

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

Can you just make an algorithm that in one profile click tells us (in relation to our profile) whether we best step or if we gon stomp the yard?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "New Profile Page"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started