Mountain Project Logo

Route-related posts should count against quota

Original Post
Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

I posted up a bunch of historical photos and comments to an area in the route guide and don’t feel those kind of posts should count against one’s forum quota.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

They shouldn't - only forum posts are limited.  Of course there could be a bug, but I'm not aware of one related to this stuff right now.

I got the quota message trying to add a comment to a route, so yeah possibly some sort of edge case.

Halbert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 582

Had the same problem trying to add comments to routes. Wanted to update an area with factual information and got stuck halfway through because of reaching the posting limit. Really annoying.

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781

What is the quota? Sorry to be behind the times. I missed this one. 

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241
Alicia Sokolowski wrote:

What is the quota? Sorry to be behind the times. I missed this one. 

They limit your rate of posting.

Colonel Mustard wrote:

They limit your rate of posting.

I got that from context, but what is the actual limit? 

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241
Alicia Sokolowski wrote:

I got that from context, but what is the actual limit? 

I don’t know, I just can’t believe people get so wrapped up in the amateur hour here to run into it, lol! Why don’t you figure it out?

I’m guessing the limit isn’t usually reached because the poster has a lot of really, really super very important stuff to say.

Well, yeah, if you don't consider ensuring the route guide is accurate or aren't interested in FA stories then, sure, it's all fluff.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

I reviewed the code, and I think it's correctly doing what we need to do to protect from spam.  Sorry, that does make it a hassle for legit users on occasion.  I updated the error message you were seeing so it explains a bit better.  Just FYI, we deal with spam every single day and are constantly removing it from the forum and route/area/photo comments.

The limits are based on various factors about your account that give us hints at how trustworthy a person is.  Even at the highest level of trust, the limit is 20 posts (comments + forum messages) per day.

Nick Wilder wrote:

I reviewed the code, and I think it's correctly doing what we need to do to protect from spam.  Sorry, that does make it a hassle for legit users on occasion.  I updated the error message you were seeing so it explains a bit better.  Just FYI, we deal with spam every single day and are constantly removing it from the forum and route/area/photo comments.

The limits are based on various factors about your account that give us hints at how trustworthy a person is.  Even at the highest level of trust, the limit is 20 posts (comments + forum messages) per day.

Thank you for explaining it. Makes sense! 

I assumed it was a spam defense, but it also seems like you could keep two counters. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, however.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Route-related posts should count against quota"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started