Mountain Project Logo

life insurance (yawn...)

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

If that isn't heaping hypocritical insult on top of injury I don't know what is.

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Healyje wrote:
MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Healyje wrote:

If that isn't heaping hypocritical insult on top of injury I don't know what is.

pretty sure that's a picture of our lady of the needles... funny. 

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54

The AAC links to "climbing friendly" life insurance

https://americanalpineclub.org/insurance/

I have no personal experience.

DuncanKL · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

I got life insurance about a year ago. I got a policy with Protective, after working with PolicyGenius. According to the PolicyGenius guy I talked to (who was quite helpful), some insurers care more than others, and Protective is known to not have too much issue with climbing in particular. I do think I'm paying a bit more than I would if I hadn't admitted to climbing, but certainly not several times more. 

As for whether they will cover climbers, my understanding from my conversations with PolicyGenius is that as long as you are honest at the time that you sign up, they will cover you. Sometimes there is a year or two probationary period where they might question the situation more intensely if something happens to you but after that you are covered, even if you have picked up a new dumb hobby since you got the plan. 

Frank Mathis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2020 · Points: 0

They know that you can die anytime and they don't want to give the insurance because they can lose money. I know that some friends had the same problem and many companies didn't get them the term life insurance. After they wanted to take whole life insurance from lifeinsurancehelpdesk.com and they gave them it. Moreover, they get them in the best conditions and at the best prices. I, also, want to take the same insurance because it can be a good save for my family if I die.

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098

I was looking at getting life insurance (here in Austria), but there were limits on the maximum grade I was allowed to climb! Absolutely nonsensical. I considered having a pact with my partners to drag my corpse under an easier route if was killed climbing something > 5.9

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "life insurance (yawn...)"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started