Mountain Project Logo

To do list (on website)

Original Post
Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260

Hey,

I had never used much the Todo before, but since I tried it, a couple remarks:

• I would be nice to be able to sort the Todo according to characteristics (as opposed to only manual drag & drop). All the infos (grades, stars, crags...) should normally be available through the API I assume, so it shouldn't be too too hard?
  • We have lots of horizontal real estate on a screen. Given that the route locations are usually involving multiple nesting levels (Kentucky - Red River Gorge - high level crag - mid level crag - low level crag - actual final crag name), what actually ends up being displayed, at least for larger destinations is something like this:
    • Kentucky > Red River Gorge > (... lots of relevent information not actually displayed ....) > Actual final crag name.
    • Not always super convenient - seems that 90% of the time I know what state the crag is in (so useless). The intermediate levels are often the most useful. The last crag level may only contain a handful of routes, so if I'm planning a day, I like to know which ones on the list I may be reasonably able to hit in a single day or not. Right now I switch between tabs, not practical.
  • The "Save" button at the bottom... after painstakingly ordering Todos, I ended up forgetting/missing it and then had to do it all again. I'm not sure what the best option would be (considering both technical aspects and user perspective:
    • Saving changes as they go (think google sheets/docs). Best option from user perspective I think. Harder to implement, and most calls to your servers.
    • Asking if you want to leave the page before you leave the page. I think this should be a minimum. Also prevents the equally frustating issue that you may accidentally closer your browser... a confirmation prevents that. If you could auto-sort according to criterias, not as much of an issue, but with slow drag & drop it's not the best.
    • Maybe have the button at the top instead? Or better yet top & bottom, increases the chances that where you are when you're done, it'll be there to remind you not to flush all that ordering away as you leave without saving....
  • Showing in: currently only allows you to show the "top level area" (e.g. red river, Smith Rocks, etc.). Would be useful to be able to show only climbs at intermediate crags. Again makes it easier to plan your day etc.
  • I am not positive the printer-friendly version is all that printer-friendly, but I do like the idea.

Don't have any thoughts on the app's todo list as I haven't used it yet, but I may soon and may edit this further if I see anything interesting/worth mentionning.

Eric Stern · · Seattle · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 52

+1 that to-do's could be improved. I'd like to be able to see my to-dos ordered by grade, pitch count, type, etc.  

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

Thanks guys.  I am literally working on this right now and will incorporate several new filter/sort options.

Here is a preview of the new page.  This is not in production yet and subject to change, but interested if you have other ways you'd like to slice the list?

https://www.mountainproject.com/user/14015/nick-wilder/climb-todo-list

Frank's list: https://www.mountainproject.com/user/200051409/name/climb-todo-list

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Nick Wilder wrote:

Here is a preview of the new page.  This is not in production yet and subject to change, but interested if you have other ways you'd like to slice the list?

https://www.mountainproject.com/user/14015/nick-wilder/climb-todo-list

Frank's list: https://www.mountainproject.com/user/200051409/name/climb-todo-list

That looks pretty sweet. Looking forward to it going to production!

It might be helpful to allow sorting by grade as well. (I'll adjust my target grades based on who is in my climbing party, for instance.)

Hamish Hamish · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

I see that multi- and single- pitch are selectable, that is awesome!  Really wish that was available in the route search tool as well...

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Hamish Malin wrote:

I see that multi- and single- pitch are selectable, that is awesome!  Really wish that was available in the route search tool as well...

It is. There is a drop-down for number of pitches.

Hamish Hamish · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

It is. There is a drop-down for number of pitches.

Ah - I see it now, in the web version.  I mainly use the app on iPhone and it doesn’t appear to be there.  At least now I have a work-around, cheers for that!

Jess Arnold · · SLC · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 173

How does one eliminate routes/problems from their to-do list with the new website format? 

Jess Arnold wrote:

How does one eliminate routes/problems from their to-do list with the new website format? 

On the route page for that To-Do.

Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 472

The new To Do List Sort  is epic. Thank you guys for making this. I've been waiting for this for a while, and it is awesome!

Adam bloc · · San Golderino, Calirado · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 2,185

Sorting to-do is not working on IE11 for me

M Alexander · · SLO, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 22

Adding on to to-do, any way to to a to-do feature for an area? It would be a good way to remember destinations that arent huge but look interesting.

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260

Just thought of something: would it be hard to allow adding a crag on the todo list?

Say I'm going to Ten Sleep canyon ( mountainproject.com/area/10…) and I would like to add Shinto and Shinto Or & Bleu from the French Cattle Ranch area ( mountainproject.com/area/10…)?

I'm basically thinking of using the To Do list to manage interesting crags & subcrags in large destinations. Right now I just put the list elsewhere, but it would be convenient to be able to just have everything on MP. A completely different list (from the To Do) would be nice, but I think the To Do list would still be a nice functionality.

Nathan Macfarlane · · San Luis Obispo, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 10

A little late to this topic but would loooooove to have multiple ToDo Lists. Like a "Trad" list (I know you can filter, but some routes that are Trad are also TR). Or a "Summer 2018" list.

Dan Petty · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2009 · Points: 825

I just wish the MP app and web site would sync on what is actually on my To-Do list. :(

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "To do list (on website)"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started