Mountain Project Logo

Lead Climbing/Travel Buddy Thailand/SE Asia Mid-Feb thru Mid April

Original Post
Jessa Lee · · Northern California · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Mt Project Peeps!!

I've had some great luck meeting new friends the few times I've used MP so I thought I'd see if there is anyone traveling around Thailand and SE Asia Mid-February thru Mid-April. It would be great to find someone who has more than a few days but I'm open. I'd really like to find someone or a group I can both climb with and travel about: hike, sight see, yoga, eat yummy food, pray to avoid food poisoning, have fun, be silly. 

It would be great to find someone before I leave to know what kind of gear to bring, I hear renting gear there is a bad idea. I have 12 black diamond quick draws, a 60 meter rope, and my personal bits. I've been trying to sharpen up my skills in Joshua Tree the last few week but don't exactly know what to expect in SE Asia. Due to old injuries overhangs are out but I'm always happy to belay or be photographer. 

I don't have specific dates yet other than I need to be back in Cali by the 22nd of April at the latest. I prefer not to schedule my travels too much instead seeing which way the wind blows. I've been traveling about for over a year now but it's my 1st time to Asia. Feel free to message me or email me!!     Jessa

PS. I have a tiny bit of leading experience but not tons so looking for someone who has that skill down   

Evan Feiereisel · · Austin, TX · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Jessa, I'll be in Ton Sai/Railay climbing from March 1st-12th! Besides that I'll be in Taiwan for the rest of the time you are considering, studying Chinese and taking breaks to climb at Long Dong when the weather looks good. Will be solo traveling in Thailand, and would love a climbing buddy, if you are there during that time. Won't be too available while in Taiwan, but if you happen to travel there, I could probably meet you in Long Dong to climb. I've got all gear needed for sport climbing, and can lead comfortably!

Awesome Evan!! Have you been to Ton Sai/Railay before? 

Emily Brumbaugh · · Sebastopol CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Hey Jessa,

I'm from NorCal too and will be in Tonsai from Feb 15-March first. It is my second time going there. I'm stoked to go back. It is super easy to find climbing partners here. Everyone is hella nice and willing to share gear. I'm an excellent belayer and can confidently climb 10a/b so i'm kinda at your climbing level. Feel free to email me at ecbrumbaugh@yahoo.com, if you want to connect <3

Evan Feiereisel · · Austin, TX · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

I have not been there before, but if you want to climb over there feel free to contact me! - evanfeier@feiereisel.us

johnicat · · OR · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 1

Hey thread peeps- Looks like my trip overlaps your times too, mid Feb-mid March. Been to Railay, not Tonsai yet. I'll have rope and draws, email me or I'll check in when we're over there. Psyched to get on some rock and eat Thai food!

Todd Bushman · · Bluffdale · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Wife and I will be there March 16-24th. tcbushman@hotmail.com. We'd be interested in meeting up with you or johnicat or whoever. We climb 5.8 through 5.12-. Bringing a rope and draws.

Fantastic!! I will email you all! Booking my tix in the next few days   

Can't wait to see you all and get some climbing in!

Darrell Cornick · · Salem, OR · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 5

I have been here in Thailand  a month and just extended my visa today. There is a good bunch of folks climbing in Chiang Mai. The temps and the route quality are way better than Ton  Sai. Especially in the 5c to 6a/b grades. It’s a really rad town too. Green climbers in Laos is awesome too. I may go there for a bit in a few weeks. My first few trips to here I just went to Ton Sai and it is fun but I really like the north better now. Maybe I have just heard side one of Bob Marley Legend too many times.  You will see what I mean. 

Thanks Darrell, most of my friends also recommended Chang Mai and Green Climbers over Ton Sai. I will definitely be heading that way as well!

James Cotter · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

I'm currently at Railay Beach until feb 10

I'll be doing guided outings to get a feel for the area but would be down to climb Thursday, Friday and Saturday if anyone is around.

I've yet to meet climbing folks around town yet but thought I'd start here..

Iain McCrory · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Hi all, I am going to be in Chaing Mai area Feb 22nd- Mar 17th and then heading to tonsai/railey area until april 4th. I will have a 70m rope, draws, etc with me. I can lead up to 11-, but am also looking to travel and explore during off days. Planning on staying at Jiras in Chaing Mai and no solid plans yet for down south. Hit me up if you are looking for a climbing/travel partner! 

Cheers Iain

Hey All! Sorry for the super slow response the last couple weeks before leaving were crazy. Just landed in Bangkok yesterday!! Not 100% which direction I'll be heading (either Chaing Mai or Ton Sai/Railey) I'll email ya'll today or tomorrow   

Rainbow Weinstock · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 85

Hi Jessa and other SE Asia climbers!  I will be climbing on Cat Ba Island in Vietnam March 22-29 as an add on to an Asia work trip.  I know some Asia Outdoors folks who work there (and will thus be pretty busy), but I'm happy to team up and plan with folks who are down to climb and adventure.  There's only one good deep water solo tide (March 22) while I'm there so I'm going to be sport climbing the other days in Butterfly Valley and out in the bay a bit.  I'm happy to lead 5.10- to 5.12- (French 6- to 7-). I'm a professional guide and give an attentive belay (and looking for same).  Happy travels!

Rainbow Weinstock · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 85

FYI there are active Fbook pages for these ares: 

Chiang Mai/Crazy Horse (https://www.facebook.com/groups/229573020504072/

Tonsai/Railay (https://www.facebook.com/groups/136182203121717/)

Cat Ba (https://www.facebook.com/groups/333275093711727/)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "Lead Climbing/Travel Buddy Thailand/SE Asia Mid…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started