Mountain Project Logo

Alpine climbing stoves 2018

Kevin Do · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Should be noted that the windburner duo system cannot be run inverted as it doesn't have a preheat loop

Ģnöfudør Ðrænk · · In the vicinity of 43 deg l… · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 2
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Really good info in here so far! Seems like the MSR Windburner is a crowd favorite.  

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Nick Sweeney wrote:

Really good info in here so far! Seems like the MSR Windburner is a crowd favorite.  

Yeah there isn’t a good incentive as the moment to buy the reactor when the wind burner takes the best of the Jetboil and reactor.  I still have my reactor and I think the one thing it can beat the wind burner is to use a larger pot on it.  If something happened to my reactor I don’t know if I would replace it.

Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86

Also, it can be a pain to light. There must be some engineering reason why they don't have a piezo igniter built in. I would recommend the piezo that MSR sells, it seems like the method that minimizes wind blowing out the flame before you can get the pot back on. 

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
Gabe B. wrote:

Also, it can be a pain to light. There must be some engineering reason why they don't have a piezo igniter built in. I would recommend the piezo that MSR sells, it seems like the method that minimizes wind blowing out the flame before you can get the pot back on. 

Piezo igniters break and become less and less reliable with altitude.

coldfinger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 55

Of the non Windburner/Reactor/Jetboil types.....

I have a SOTO OD1R and really like it.  In cold temps it has one key feature: it is pressure regulated.

Another is that the stove is not connected to the pot so one can just dip the fuel canister in the hot water in the pot/mug to improve performance. No need for the bulk/weight of reheating rigs or a warm bath rig bowl.

That pressure regulation feature also makes it better to use in all applications.

Other likes: very small, very light, can be used with a Titanium mug and small canister for an ideal package, can be used with just about any pot/pan.

These are great for cooking/sautee on road rips with left over partial canisters when making group meals and you need an extra burner (or at home when the power is out).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Alpine climbing stoves 2018"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started