Mountain Project Logo

RRG: Places that dry quickly/stay dry

Original Post
Matthew Massey · · South Charleston, WV · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 5

Hi everyone,

i know a lot of places stay dry in the Red, but I  don't know the area very well.  I am planning on going Sunday but the forecast shows rain in the morning..  Are there any places that dry significantly quicker than anything or stay dry in the high 10s-mid 11s range (sport)?

Thanks!

Michael Palmer · · Scottsdale · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 56

In case you haven't seen it before, redriverclimbing.com has an advanced search that lets you filter by dryness.  I'm sure you'll get good responses here but just wanted to share:   https://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuide/?type=advanced_search

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
Matthew Massey wrote:

Hi everyone,

i know a lot of places stay dry in the Red, but I  don't know the area very well.  I am planning on going Sunday but the forecast shows rain in the morning..  Are there any places that dry significantly quicker than anything or stay dry in the high 10s-mid 11s range (sport)?

Thanks!

Assuming the grades listed. there aren't very many places that would suit you. I would be less worried about rain in the morning, and more worried about the fact that it has been raining non-stop for many days, and routes would be seeping... Having said that,

5.10's at the Roadside generally stay climbable in the rain
Bruise Brothers will be dry, and there will also be some dry routes at Sunnyside, Hideout, Great Wall, Great Arch, and Johnny and Tectonic. but Bruish brothers is probably the best bet. All other places will have a dry route or two, interspersed the wet ones.
There will be dry 10s at Drive-by, and Whipstocking isn't really 5.11a
Infirmary should have some dry 5.10s, especially if you combine it with Cooper's Cove, since the two crags are close. (Cooper's will have a lot of dry routes with wet tops, but Roadkill and Grab-n-go stay completely dry, if I remember)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "RRG: Places that dry quickly/stay dry"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started