Mountain Project Logo

Toprope drytooling/mixed area close to the Front Range?

Original Post
Chris Bamat · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

So, I see there have been a few threads in the past debating drytooling areas, but I couldn't find anything recent. Please feel free to point me to them if I missed something.

Otherwise, does anyone have any recommendations on an area to practice easy drytooling/mixed on toprope? Ouray is great, it's just so damn far.

I realize this is probably still controversial, and I'm definitely not interested in trashing any rock crags. Just curious if anything exists or if I need to just head to Ouray more and/or suck it up and hit as many mixed sections of various alpine ice climbs as possible.

Thanks!

Igor T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

There is some stuff in Clear Creek by Little Eiger Area. I think it is M7 and you can set up a TR around a big tree. Another place is by The wall of the 90's it is called M3 crag(i think) and it is fairly easy to set up a TR.

Shadrock · · Here and there. · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 430

There's a few very short routes up at Moffat Tunnel, which are all way too hard for me, but I'm a wimp. Last weekend the 3 bolt lines lead to a hanging curtain, which I gather occasionally touches down. The area sees a lot of traffic (each route had a bail 'biner on it last weekend) but is quiet on weekdays and TR is easily set up via a short hike to trees. I run laps on the ice flow occasionally and it's an easy outing from Boulder.

Nick Andrasik · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Don't know if the top of that area supports TRs (the area description seems to think no), but since you scramble down to get to the base of the climbs, I figured it'd be worth a look.

I've been looking for the same thing on the FR so if you're looking to partner up and scout some areas, LMK!

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370
Igor T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

Bears-Den is great but I do not know if you can set up a TR. Maybe it is possible. It has been a while since I climbed there....

Chris Bamat · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

Thanks for the info!

Igor - that's great info and definitely what I'm looking for (something that's M3-ish would be perfect, haha).

Shadrock - Moffat is great, but I've only ever run laps on the ice there. Great idea to look around a bit next time I'm up there.

Nick - I saw that a few days ago as well. Looks like it's worth checking out for sure.

And...I've never climbed at Bears-Den...time to check that one out too.

Thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Toprope drytooling/mixed area close to the Fron…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started