Mountain Project Logo

Best platform for "partner finding"(Specifically outdoors) at a gym?

Original Post
hhhh ppppr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Thanks, nerds

Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 451

What's wrong with a message board on the wall in the lounge? Not everything needs to be high-tech. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Setup a weekly hour meeting at your gym and let people show up who are looking for people to climb with.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Adam Fleming wrote:

What's wrong with a message board on the wall in the lounge? Not everything needs to be high-tech. 

This. Although the best way is people your friends know and recommend. In a gym? Best is talking up the people there, sussing them out, and seeing about a tentative date outside. I only climb with quite experienced folks outside. If you are brand new? You will be invited, but as a third or fourth, with that very experienced person to help keep all of us safe. Taking gym friends out for their first real climbs is truly a great joy!

From what I can see, and my experience, people are quite willing to ask for partners, but are just terrible about responding to those requests, online or on a message board. 

My partnerships have worked out well, with only one that truly was a mess, but it was personalities.

Key to that? A huge amount of conversation and being very, very, straightforward about what I can and can't do.

In a gym? Have people write beside the route to grade it. Have them write on a board or a piece of paper for partners. Why? Because then they will at least have set foot in the place. 

Best, OLH

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

Do events that get folks outdoors.  You probably don't want to make them guided events, because that creates liability, but set up an unofficial event, put up some posters, and hope for the best.

Tavish Hansen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 840

Facebook pages work quite well.  We have a ton of them for different climbing areas and localities in the Pacific Northwest, and they are where a ton of partner finding, gear selling, and just general communication within the community happens.  We used to have a community message board at our gym but I think the usage declined so much that they got rid of it.

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

I heard there is this interweb place, something like "Mountains Place", or something MP, anyway, they, i heard, have this partners tab, or something. Heard it works something like you post, they contact. 

Just saying....

will ar · · Vermont · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 290

ive had good experiences with local climbing Facebook groups. Seems to work much better than MP for finding partners for a specific area and especially if it's last minute.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

Take a look a Denver Social Climb (the fb group). People use it to meet partners indoor and out constantly.

Yawn Bosco · · Raleigh, NC · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Echoing what others have said, my local gym doesn't have an app for this but they do the cork board, meetups, and other events to encourage partner finding/social side of the gym culture.

I haven't taken advantage of this, but they also do this thing where they have a neon livestrong-type bracelet that folks can wear that basically means they are down to belay someone/looking for partners/new when they are at the gym. It's a good idea, for taking the edge off of asking a random group of people if they mind swapping belays.

Personally, I've had really good luck finding a variety of partners on MP.

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Another vote for FB groups.  Ours here in Austin is very active.

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 40

1.Walk into the gym alone.

2. Ask an employee is their are any regular ‘rope climbers’ stuck in the bouldering area.

3. Ask if they want to climb higher than 12ft.

4. Become friends.

Vincent M · · Kalamazoo, MI · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 35
Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

You can put out a word that there is a meetup group (without bothering with meetup) every Tuesday/Thursday from 6 to 8, or something like that, for people who don't have a regular partner, but are looking for one.

Ultimately, all the climbers I know, who climb outdoors, do not want to have a big rotating group or randos to climb with. They want to meet a few people with whom they click/share similar climbing goals and then make plans directly with these few people, without a special app.

A regularly scheduled time when you know you will meet some people who are also looking for partners would be helpful for getting started.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Best platform for "partner finding"(Specificall…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started