Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Sardinia Italy

Original Post
Andie Mitchell · · Denver · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Hello all! Planning a trip to Sardinia, Italy during the last week of March. Any suggestions regarding what side of the island to stay at for the best access to the most climbing areas? And what's the best way to get from one climbing area to another? There seems to be climbing all over the island so that's a plus. 

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

While there are climbing areas in most parts of Sardinia, the biggest concentration of quality areas are along or just inland from the central part of the east coast, with places such as Cala Gonone and Baunei being the principal areas where folks base themselves, and the southwest corner of the island near the city of Domasnovas. The eastern areas are definitely more popular and have a better tourist infrastructure. Also in the east, but a bit more inland are places such as Jerzu and Ullassii and, further south, Issili, all of which have great crags, but are a bit isolated. These areas can be visited as day trips from the main bases mentioned above if you have a car----which is really a necessity for reasonably getting from the airports to the climbing areas and between them as public transport is limited. Cala Gonone is the best base for the carless--though even there having one is a big plus.

Adam Brink · · trying to get to Sardinia · Joined Mar 2001 · Points: 560

We just left Sardinia and the island is stacked with great climbing!  Definitely have a car if you want to visit the best sites.  Check out travelsupermarket.com for the lowest prices.  Cala Gonone is a must do but there are so many amazing climbing areas on the island.  Get the guidebook for sure.

Kinobi Eman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
Andie Mitchell · · Denver · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
Adam Brink wrote:

We just left Sardinia and the island is stacked with great climbing!  Definitely have a car if you want to visit the best sites.  Check out travelsupermarket.com for the lowest prices.  Cala Gonone is a must do but there are so many amazing climbing areas on the island.  Get the guidebook for sure.

Where did you guys stay?

Adam Brink · · trying to get to Sardinia · Joined Mar 2001 · Points: 560

Andie- we were in Sardina for a month so we traveled around and saw a good bit of the island.  In Cala Gonone we rented an apartment on the edge of town that had killer views of the ocean. I highly recommend being on the hill above town as it is quieter and the sunrise views are to die for.

Chris Winter · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 315

I spent a month on Sardinia last year.  Cala Gonone is good, but I recommend Ulassia and especially Capo Pecora if you are into trad climbing.  The seaside granite at Capo Pecora is absolutely amazing, and the coastline there is wild and beautiful.  There is also supposed to be good sport climbing not far from there but we didn't check it out.  

The new development in and around Ulassais is booming, and the routes are great.  You can stay in town at the new climbers hostel and walk to the climbing.  The hostel has published a new guide to the routes around Ulassai because all the new development has left the current guide outdated for the area.   

Johanna Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,908

Besides "The Lemon House," does anyone have any other specific recommendations of where to stay? Has anyone climbed in Ogliastra, and if so, how does it compare to Cala Gonone?  I will have a car. Primarily sport climbing. 

Chris Winter · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 315
Johanna Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,908

I just checked out some Air BnB prices. I think we'll be doing camping Cala Gonone for the first week and figure out rooms as necessary. Found this if anyone else is looking for something in the $10/p range. 

https://www.calagononecamping.com/en/

Bill Wheatley · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 795

How easy is it to find climbing partners in these places? I have some time in early April and deciding where to go but will be travelling alone. 

Matthew Doyle · · Snowmass Village, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

We spent a month Round Sardinia last spring. My favorite place was by far Masua. We stayed in iglesias. Go climb marinao di foresta on pedra longa... incredible.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Climbing Sardinia Italy"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started