Mountain Project Logo

training forearm/grip equally

Original Post
EvanHyatt · · Santa Ana · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

my right arm is stronger than my left. duhh I'm right handed. but I feel like the gym climbs are mostly right-handed, and outdoors it does equal out but I always overcompensate with my right. Id like to equal out, because one side looks like Popeye, and making the other look the same would definitely help my game. Should I just start hanging crimping one handed? invent my own routes at the gym the are left arm dominate? small hold for the right, large sloper hold for the left? any ideas?

also, why do I get different veins on each arm? left arm veins fork. while right arm all seem to go straight. interesting..... but why?

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 16,608

Maybe you have some old injury, and did not get appropriate rehab for it?

So then one side overcompensated in some strange way?

Might want to schedule a visit with a good Physiotherapist in your area.

Ken

Tee Kay · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 110

in terms of venous distribution, there are varying patterns of venous distribution and these three happen to be the most common. they are not necessarily going to be symmetrical between right and left.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

it is unfortunate, but I have seen the same thing in a lot of gyms. One gym in particular felt like it had the exact same move, throwing for the finish, low left hand/right hand going up every time, on 8-9 problems on the same wall. And nothing with the opposite move.

Do you have access to a systems wall? (wall with mirrorred/symmetrical holds) What I would do in your case, I would try making a problem that favors the right hand and feels easy to you, and then do the same problem symmetrically on the left, but work it several times. Then make it harder, so you get to the point where you can do the sequence on your good side, but not quite on the bad side, and keep working that bad side until you get it. We are talking just a 2-3 move problem.

a systems wall would be rad! but no.

I do have a left-hand previous injury but it is when I was 15 and am 28 now so I would like to think that it doesn't affect me.  schafloid bone, there's still a screw in there

wow all of my questions answered thanks a bunch, guys

you all read me like a book. down town kay that picture looks like its in vantage, Frenchman coulle, and since your for washington.... THAT PLACE IS SO FUN! and beautiful. one of my favorite destinations ive been to yet. that hot sauce from that place in quincy at the central market thou... http://www.pictame.com/user/guero_y_maria_foods/2267263178

I had no idea veins were so different from person to person. I tried deciding which I was but none really match up perfectly, and I think that just how that kind of thing goes. makes a doctors or nurses job so much more difficult. if the patient wasn't me. or isn't. or will. knock on wood

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "training forearm/grip equally"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started