Mountain Project Logo

Do boulder problems that don’t top out piss you off?

Original Post
Dan Knisell · · MA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 6,367

Straight up, do boulder problems that don’t top out leave you feeling a little empty inside?  I’m not talking about the gym here because I know there are plenty of gym haters. I’m talking about the route up the cliff side: heel hook, hit the crimp, pull the crux, match the jug, and drop off.  Wait. Drop off??  What a let down. 

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 19,052

Hey...it' just pebble wrestling, so what's the difference. If you want to climb something that is significant and has a top...get in mountaineering.

Benjamin Chapman wrote:

Hey...it' just pebble wrestling, so what's the difference. If you want to climb something that is significant and has a top...get in mountaineering.

I see your point and I wish I could spend time mountaineering. Far greater reward. But alas I don’t have the time or money for that sport. So I stick to bouldering and when that boulder doesn’t top out it feels unfinished. 

CrimpDaddy WesP · · Chattanooga!! · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 3,205

Sometimes its just not possible to top them out, obviously, but when that happens yes I do wish there was a top out. I wouldn't wish for a sketchy top out, though, but a nice fun one. If wishes were fishes...

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 209

Bouldering is fucking stupid enough when the problems top out... the “problem” isn’t solved if it doesn’t top out.. smh 

R E R · · Southern California · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,930

Bouldering is about being shirtless while wearing a beanie and pulling hard moves. If you can pull the hard moves and look good doing it shirtless then that should be enough. Topping out the climb should not matter. I think you would have to split the bouldering types into tiers. Eliminate boulder problems, now that is just dumb and would be the lowest tier. 

Flex dem pipes

DynoDave · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0
Dan Knisell wrote:

Straight up, do boulder problems that don’t top out leave you feeling a little empty inside?  I’m not talking about the gym here because I know there are plenty of gym haters. I’m talking about the route up the cliff side: heel hook, hit the crimp, pull the crux, match the jug, and drop off.  Wait. Drop off??  What a let down. 

Why do you have to drop off? Is the climbing above impossible? Or is there no possible downclimb, or walk off if you do top out?

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392
Lou Cerutti wrote:

Bouldering is fucking stupid enough when the problems top out... the “problem” isn’t solved if it doesn’t top out.. smh 

Haha! You no what is stupid? Having a photo album titled "Adventure!" and then having the prime shots be of Headstone. It is a large boulder sitting just outside of a campground! Super F'ing adventurous! 

ALEXAOUTDOOR Alexa smit · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

topping while pooping is serious shit.

that is why I prefer boulder problems that don´t top out.

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 209
Mike Brady wrote:

Haha! You no what is stupid? Having a photo album titled "Adventure!" and then having the prime shots be of Headstone. It is a large boulder sitting just outside of a campground! Super F'ing adventurous! 

You’re absolutely right, Mike. I changed it for you. Check it out! 

Alex Zucca · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 355

Do sport routes that don't top out piss you off?

Same thing...

Jim Schloemer · · North Bend, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 326

Just gonna throw this in there: Do trad routes that don't top out piss y'all off?

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392
Lou Cerutti wrote:

You’re absolutely right, Mike. I changed it for you. Check it out! 

LOL. I love it! Only thing better would have been if you put some pics of a freshette and a douche in there! Missed opportunity man.....kinda like your pinkpoint attempt

Tim McGivern · · Medford, ma · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 12,579

Better problems top out. Back in the day I thought it wasn’t even legit if you didn’t top it out. I’m more open minded now though. If you climb enough problems in enough places you find ones that don’t top out for good reason. Good reason is the key.

Shane Brown · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

If it bothers you, top it out and spray that you got the real FA

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

One cool thing about trad, compared to sport, is that the climbs often top out.  Get to the top, plop your butt down, and enjoy the top for a second.  Doesn’t happen much with sport climbing.

So, I feel ya.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Bouldering
Post a Reply to "Do boulder problems that don’t top out piss you…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started