Mountain Project Logo

Is Pine Canyon, Mount Diablo Open?

Original Post
Bill M · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 10

I know that in the past, it's been closed at this time for raptor nesting. Does anyone have any beta? thx.

Thanks, caughtinside. 

I  couldn't find anything on line to back that up. Might just drive over tomorrow and see for myself and will keep you guys posted. 

Danny Herrera · · Sebastopol · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 567
bill morris wrote:

Thanks, caughtinside. 

I  couldn't find anything on line to back that up. Might just drive over tomorrow and see for myself and will keep you guys posted. 

Save yourself the time & walk, its closed

Mitch L · · Bay Area · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 1

Thanks guys. 

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

I feel like in the past they only closed the higher castle rock proper, Flintstone rock, and part of Rock of Ages with Pagoda Rock and the Teeth and Deliverance being left open. I could be mistaken tough or has it changed?

Mike Dahlquist · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 176
kevin deweese wrote:

I feel like in the past

I used to climb there more when I was teaching in Concord, so it would have been 2004-2010 or so. Whatever, doesn't matter. I was just hoping that I didn't misinterpret the previous closure (could have been voluntary?) back in the day. 

Hopefully they have the coverage to enforce the closure. Climbers have always been the least of the raptor's worries as it's the highschool and college ages stoners and drinkers that tended to treat Castle Rock like their own private graffiti and destruction playground to scramble around on. 

Lol, If anything, it means that during this time of year, climbers will be less likely to have to help with the usual pleas of help from ledged out drunk kids on Mammoth Rock.

Eric L · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 145
kevin deweese wrote:

I used to climb there more when I was teaching in Concord, so it would have been 2004-2010 or so. Whatever, doesn't matter. I was just hoping that I didn't misinterpret the previous closure (could have been voluntary?) back in the day. 

Hopefully they have the coverage to enforce the closure. Climbers have always been the least of the raptor's worries as it's the highschool and college ages stoners and drinkers that tended to treat Castle Rock like their own private graffiti and destruction playground to scramble around on. 

Lol, If anything, it means that during this time of year, climbers will be less likely to have to help with the usual pleas of help from ledged out drunk kids on Mammoth Rock.

LOL, so true.  I grew up in Clayton and recall hearing of plenty of people partying up there (no, I never did).  Sad how thrashed the place got.

Kevin, the closures are pretty well signed now, so I bet you were good if you didn't see any signs.  I went to high school in Walnut Creek, so I'll bet a lot of those stoners were my classmates!  

Stoners aside, I think the best "unintended consequence" of the closure is keeping climbers out through the better part of the rainy season.  I've been there a couple of times and deemed the rock too wet to climb, only to see climbers top-roping and breaking holds off left and right.  

Don't climb at Pine Canyon without three SUNNY days post-rain to dry the rock!

Mike Dahlquist wrote:

Stoners aside, I think the best "unintended consequence" of the closure is keeping climbers out through the better part of the rainy season.  I've been there a couple of times and deemed the rock too wet to climb, only to see climbers top-roping and breaking holds off left and right.  

Don't climb at Pine Canyon without three SUNNY days post-rain to dry the rock!

Preach. I've been in heated arguments in the past at DRG because people there were like "we're going to climb dry december this weekend even if it's wet!" on a Friday when it was raining out. 

Eventually every route there will be top-to-bottom 5.12 slopers!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Is Pine Canyon, Mount Diablo Open?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started