Mountain Project Logo

Has anyone ever seen a real dirtbag?

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Holy fuck. I come back from school and there's 67 replies in 11 hours. Damn.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
Nolan Fulton wrote:

Calling me the troll. Haha

I’ve lurked on Super Topo for about a year now.That’s where I found out about Tucker Tech. He certainly fits the Dirtbag criteria. Man I bet there’s some wild stories about that guy. 

Heheh, yea, Tucker surely does however he's a Johnny Come Lately for real D-bag status. He didn't show up in the Valley until the 80's iirc. :P

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

If you live in your van full time and have no home base/ apartment then IMO that qualifies you as a dirtbag. My girlfriend and I lived out of a 2000 honda accord for a few years, definitely felt like homelessness. 

There are a few dirtbags at the bivy (smith) who stay around there for 6 months at a time and have figured out how to evade the $5/night fee

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
the schmuck wrote:

Everybody knows/has met Alf. Or at least heard stories. Regardless what one may think of him, he IS a true dirtbag. 

Some poor, misguided and well intentioned soul even made a YouTube video about him a few years back. 

Saw the video, very disappointed. I was expecting a more unstable person. The guy just seemed normal.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
jg fox wrote:

Saw the video, very disappointed. I was expecting a more unstable person. The guy just seemed normal.

When he is in his element he is. Certainly one cant take away all the FAs he has piled up over the years. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205
jg fox wrote:

Just keep in mind that he is the only person I know who was deported FROM Mexico. We also stopped him from destroying trails at the Tower because of a personal conflict with one of the route developers. 

Imploding Biceps · · Dirty South · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 1,938
Locker wrote:

"But at the end of the day I'll bet no one that HAS to live off of dumpster diving in 2018 gives a flying fuck about rock climbing."

Yep! 

"Climbers" CHOOSING to be broke, knowing all along that they can go back to the luxury they're used to? 

"Dirtbag".= "Fake News"...

Locker, do you have any interesting stories about some eccentric characters you met in the climbing community? Someone that left the comforts and luxuries to persue climbing full time and didn’t have something to fall back on or a mobile home on wheels? 

Because that’s why I started this thread. 

the schmuck wrote:

Just keep in mind that he is the only person I know who was deported FROM Mexico. We also stopped him from destroying trails at the Tower because of a personal conflict with one of the route developers. 

I don't think it is that hard to get deported from Mexico, but I'm now hooked.  I really want to see this guy in action.

Who wants to go to the Creek this spring?

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
Locker wrote:

"But at the end of the day I'll bet no one that HAS to live off of dumpster diving in 2018 gives a flying fuck about rock climbing."

Yep! 

"Climbers" CHOOSING to be broke, knowing all along that they can go back to the luxury they're used to? 

"Dirtbag".= "Fake News"...

It was always White Privilege to be a climbing "dirtbag"....nothing new since forever.

We were just addicted to a habit that was easier to quit and better for our bodies (mostly) than other dumpster divers.

jg fox wrote:

I don't think it is that hard to get deported from Mexico, I'm now hooked.  I really want to see this guy in action.

Who wants to go to the Creek this spring?

He was a regular in central NM in the mid 90s, and then just kind if disappeared. A few folks thought that Alf died in some horrible accident, but I ran into him a few years later getting coffee in Socorro. He gave me a crazy story about how he was driving an unlicensed taxi in Chihuahua, but was deported when he got into a wreck. He's actually a pretty bright guy...electrical engineer or something like that. 

MisterE Wolfe · · Grass Valley, CA · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 8,092
T Roper wrote:
MisterE Wolfe · · Grass Valley, CA · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 8,092
the schmuck wrote:

Last sighting I am aware of is a ramshackle trailer in Indian Creek. He lived in Socorro on and off for a little over a decade. 

See above.

Really glad that he found his niche in life. I always had a bit of a soft spot for him, and there seemed to be a little of mad genius about him. 

MisterE Wolfe wrote:

No, he isn't - he quit & never looked back. He is building tiny homes in Eastern Washington.

Alright, I still want to go back to the Creek though.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Tim Lutz wrote:

He got full ride for computer science from NM Tech.  He worked a few years for the Man after but couldn't hack the 9-5.

So, by Locker's definition, even Alf isn't a true dirt bag.  He could easily be pulling in 6 figures, but he would have to stare at a computer all day.

Not completely true you can make 6 figures and only work from like 10am to 2pm... It isn't that hard to do. So like 3 hours a day most days (that was including time for lunch). And while at work in the stupid meetings you post on mountain project etc.

ViperScale . wrote:

Not completely true you can make 6 figures and only work from like 10am to 2pm... It isn't that hard to do. So like 3 hours a day most days (that was including time for lunch)

If you have a programming background that isn't always the case, I know people that do that and I also know people that are up until midnight meeting deadlines.  

I was the later but I didn't really have a programming background, I just got shoehorned into that job.  I also wasn't making six digits, one of the reasons why I quit, not enough pay to work 60 hours a week.

Peter Lewis · · Bridgton, ME · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 165

I would ask my wife, but am afraid what she would say...

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
jg fox wrote:

If you have a programming background that isn't always the case, I know people that do that and I also know people that are up until midnight meeting deadlines.  

I was the later but I didn't really have a programming background, I just got shoehorned into that job.  I also wasn't making six digits, one of the reasons why I quit, not enough pay to work 60 hours a week.

Ironically, the jobs that require you to work 60 hours a week are often the lower-paying jobs. Once an employer is willing to treat their employees like crap, their aren't many reasons for them to pick and choose which ways they treat their employees like crap.

David Kerkeslager wrote:

Ironically, the jobs that require you to work 60 hours a week are often the lower-paying jobs. Once an employer is willing to treat their employees like crap, their aren't many reasons for them to pick and choose which ways they treat their employees like crap.

Yes but in the long run they are better for one's career.  Usually a lower paying tech job isn't going to add as much development in regards to knowledge.  I wasn't required to do it (nobody said stay until midnight or work this weekend) but the workload made me do it as I worked by myself on practically everything.  If someone experienced was doing what I was doing they would of handled it in 40 hours easily but I was fresh out of grad school and way in over my head unfortunately.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Has anyone ever seen a real dirtbag?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started