Mountain Project Logo

Add additional zipper to sleeping bag?

Original Post
Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86

Hey friends, 

I am looking at the feathered friends flicker and I was curious if it's possible to add additional zippers after the fact? It would allow for me to pop just my hands out or remain tied in to a belay without running a rope down my bag. I am thinking along the lines of the Patagonia sleeping bag zipper system. I already contacted FF and they said that they wouldn't do it. any thoughts? I know basically nothing about zippers...

Thanks!

Gabe

Sean Fujimori · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1

Surprising that they didn't suggest that when you were talking to them, though I guess you may have just asked about adding a zipper without explaining to what end. 

Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86
s kf wrote:

Surprising that they didn't suggest that when you were talking to them, though I guess you may have just asked about adding a zipper without explaining to what end. 

I actually really want the ability to fully open as a quilt, hence the flicker but thanks for pointing this out!

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

I’m sure Boulder Mountain Repair would do it..

Greg R · · Durango CO · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 10
Gabe B. wrote:

I actually really want the ability to fully open as a quilt, hence the flicker but thanks for pointing this out!

I had someone take out a half zipper and put in a full length like you want. Worked great, you just need to find someone with a creative talent. 

Aidan Raviv · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 95

If I understand correctly you want to add additional zipper pulls so you can make an opening anywhere you want. Great feature and something I use basically every time I use my pata bag. 

In order to do this you'll need to do a few things. You may need to do some very light sewing/maneuvering but as far as the laws of zippers go I think it can be done. It could make the bag less warm just fyi. 

1. Find out what size zipper it is. I think the ul one is listed at a #4 ykk. Probably a coil zipper? This is info will inform what sliders you get. 
  2. Get some appropriately sized zipper stops and sliders. Two stops and two sliders, ideally the kind that kinda interlock so they leave a smaller gap when closed. Parka sliders? Is there a special kind? Maybe. 
  3. Inspect the zipper construction. It's probably sewn under a flap with zipper stops at the end. The stops can be removed with wire cutters and you may need to remove a few zipper teeth. Google a video for this or ask me again when I'm on a computer. 
  4. Add the sliders (many videos for this), add the stops, sew the little flap back on and you should be good to go. 

Lmk if you need any help. 

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41

The Sea to Summit Trek bags are designed to be opened up as a quilt, or you can open the zipper in the foot box for ventilation. http://www.seatosummitusa.com/exp-backpacking/

Aidan Raviv · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 95

Did anyone actually read the OP? haha

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Add additional zipper to sleeping bag?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started