Mountain Project Logo

Watch Out - Ebay scam / counterfeit

Original Post
bttrrtRock Charles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 5

Ebay has some sketchy stuff hitting the market. These biners are obviously not DMM. Looks like some pretty sketchy manufacturing from china. Picture 3 in the listing shows a pretty unnerving defect (non fill or void). 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-DMM-Revolver-Screwgate-Locking-Carabiners-Blue-Pink/162899521771?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D6dde4be89a614c81bf7a0ec384c34596%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D162899521771%26itm%3D162899521771&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Metal is wrong color and imprint on the side of the biner is different than DMM at least for ones I have seen.

Jay J · · Euelss · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 5

Several years Petzl warned about some counterfeit gear coming out of China that was pretty convincing.  

Tony G · · Dallas, TX · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0
Carl Sampurna · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 400

ebay items can be reported as counterfeit, click on the "Report item" link to the right of the "Description" and "Shipping and payments"

Reported as counterfeit  - already 2 bidders. Yikes

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

But guys, they’re so cheap. 

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Seller seems legitimate though, has some other climbing gear for sale. 

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260
Don Ferris wrote:

But guys, they’re so cheap. 

Right - static top rope anchor, use both at focal point redundancy and you're good to go...

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260
Tony G wrote:

A***V said it best in the comments: 

standard all like!

Maybe the seller used to be legit. Now he's flipping knock off dangerous crap biners. 

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

lol DMM needs to cut their contract with their manufacturer ASAP

Greg R · · Durango CO · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 10

I wrote seller and reported to eBay. Seller must know it's fake, authentic biner says DMM this one does not. 

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

But...but...nowhere is it claimed that it is a DMM carabiner.  It isn't a counterfeit, its a copy.  Maybe a DMM patent is violated?  Dunno about that.  It does have a CE marking on it; if that's fraudulent there would be a problem with that.

I wouldn't buy it, but it can't be called a counterfeit.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
rgold wrote:

But...but...nowhere is it claimed that it is a DMM carabiner. 

The original E-bay ad, posted by the OP, advertises it as a DMM. Not sure what you're referring to. 

Greg R · · Durango CO · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 10
rgold wrote:

But...but...nowhere is it claimed that it is a DMM carabiner.  It isn't a counterfeit, its a copy.  Maybe a DMM patent is violated?  Dunno about that.  It does have a CE marking on it; if that's fraudulent there would be a problem with that.

I wouldn't buy it, but it can't be called a counterfeit.

Manufacturer does not claim its DMM, original eBay listing did say that it was DMM. He has apparently edited the listing. There are other sellers listing the same biner on eBay and the Chinese company manufacturing them is also making ascenders, harnesses, etc. 

Yeah, I looked at the link posted by Tony G, not the OP's link, which does indeed claim the biners are DMM.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
rgold wrote:

Yeah, I looked at the link posted by Tony G, not the OP's link, which does indeed claim the biners are DMM.

You really don't see DMM listed on the ebay page? It is listed in the url and it says the following on the page.

Brand:  DMM

Two DMM Revolver Screwgate Locking Carabiners

Hello?  I said I looked at the wrong link and then saw the fake DMM claim in the original link.

rockhard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 75

What is the obvious defect in picture 3?  I don't see it.

C Williams · · Sketchy, Blackvanistan · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,556
rockhard wrote:

What is the obvious defect in picture 3?  I don't see it.

Bottom of the bend, inside right edges of the cut outs. Its a pretty big defect, not a chance any sort of legit qc would have let that pass. Someone should buy these just for a pull test. I bet they fail way below 25 kN.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Watch Out - Ebay scam / counterfeit"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started