Mountain Project Logo

Anyone have the La Sportiva G5, and know it's weight?

Original Post
pjc30943 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Anyone have the La Sportiva G5, and can check the weight? I'm seeing conflicting info online about how light they actually are, and La Sportiva doesn't list the weight officially on their website. 

http://www.lasportiva.com/en/new-ss17-man/g5

I'm contemplating going to the G5 from my Nepal Cubes mainly for weight, since some specs claim ~7oz lighter weight per foot (worth the change), though others show 1oz lighter (not worth the change). I'm size 45 in the Nepal Cube.

Matt Hopkins · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

The G5 is right at 30.1 oz in a size 47. I just bought a pair, and would rather the g5 over the cube anyday. The BOA system is excellent. 

kirill langer · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 85

Do they really leak water? I am trying to decide if this is a dealbreaker. I mean, I barely ever step into puddles on my days out, but it could be bad if water seeps in easily.

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
kirill langer wrote:

Do they really leak water? I am trying to decide if this is a dealbreaker. I mean, I barely ever step into puddles on my days out, but it could be bad if water seeps in easily.

I own the Batura 2.0, even they aren't completely waterproof, water can still seep in at the zipper seam like all integrated gaiter boots from La Sportiva.  I don't know what people have been experiencing with the new boot but it would help if they were specific about the issue, not just saying the boot got wet.

Eric · · Gunks · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 46
kirill langer wrote:

I've spent about 20 days in my G5's so far this winter.  We'll see if they hold up to the wetness long term.  Yesterday, I was in the rain all day with dry feet. Spent a number of days walking around in snowy conditions without getting wet either. 

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0
jg fox wrote:

I own the Batura 2.0, even they aren't completely waterproof, water can still seep in at the zipper seam like all integrated gaiter boots from La Sportiva.  I don't know what people have been experiencing with the new boot but it would help if they were specific about the issue, not just saying the boot got wet.

Because I am an idiot, I've stepped in streams more than once with my Baturas and my feet stayed dry.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

I’ve got them. They are awesome. Get them. 

Anthony L · · Hobo gulch · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 20
Benjamin Mitchell wrote:

Because I am an idiot, I've stepped in streams more than once with my Baturas and my feet stayed dry.

Same.  I climb in the Cascades, so wet wet wet is the game. My feet always stay dry unless I sweat to fucking hell in them... That's the only wetness issue I've ever had with them.

Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

...I’ve got about 20 days out in them. Best money I’ve spent on gear in many years. Have had no “water” issues though they’ve not been fully immersed but have been wallowing in snow!

Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86

Does anyone have both (Batura, G5)? I'd love a comparison of them. I have phantom techs and the fit is a bit off, but the water issue put me off of trying the G5's. 

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407
Gabe B. wrote:

Does anyone have both (Batura, G5)? I'd love a comparison of them. I have phantom techs and the fit is a bit off, but the water issue put me off of trying the G5's. 

I had Baturas until I had the G5. The G5 is a clearly superior boot. Lighter, more nimble, and seemingly better quality. I never had any water issues with either though. 

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

I heard the G5's don't have the normal, narrow "Sportiva fit."  Any merit to that? 

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

I don't dig the Boa in the new LS boots personally. There are a few reports of failure on the interwebs. I wouldn't mind carrying a spare, but frankly the repair videos on YouTube don't make it look like something I'd be stoked about messing with on a climb. I'll keep buying boots with laces as long as they're available and not complete garbage. 

Ryan Marsters · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,431

Based on a few dozen days in both the Batura 2.0 and Nepals (haven't picked up the G5 yet):

-Batura 2.0s keeps my feet dry faaaar better than Nepals, including consideration for stepping in creeks and particularly for slogging in afternoon mashed potatoes. 

-The Baturas aren't very durable and I'm hoping a lot of the issues are fixed with the G5s. I'm having major issues with the rand delamination and overgaiter stitching falling apart. Not to mention the front sole wore down extremely fast. I figure that is a compromise for a thinner and lighter sole.

-I approach in trail runners as much as possible to save on wear. So sweat isn't a big issue. 

-I've read one report discussing the Boa system failing. Not sure if the poor reputation is well deserved, but the Batura lock in laces are annoying, if secure. 

-IMO single leather boots are outdated. Modern lightweight overgaiter boots are better in every aspect besides durability, which is more of a cost concern than a functional one. 

Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

For AlpineIce:

I climbed in Nepal Evo’s for years. The G5 (and Batura’s) are all built on the same last. The G2SM is a different last. As for fit, I went from a 41.5 Evo to 41 in the G5. Primarily because I changed my sock system over the years from a thicker sock to the SmartWool Anker mountaineering sock. Other than that volume, space, etc in the boot feels the same to me. As reference I measure a 41 and and just over a D width. 

Just FYI, I work part time as a footwear / boot fitter in an outdoor store. 

Jordan Whitley · · NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 240
kirill langer wrote:

Same here, only reason I haven't jumped on a pair yet.... Good to hear people aren't having many leakage issues.... some of the reviews online would lead you to think otherwise.

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255
Mark NH wrote:

For AlpineIce:

I climbed in Nepal Evo’s for years. The G5 (and Batura’s) are all built on the same last. The G2SM is a different last. As for fit, I went from a 41.5 Evo to 41 in the G5. Primarily because I changed my sock system over the years from a thicker sock to the SmartWool Anker mountaineering sock. Other than that volume, space, etc in the boot feels the same to me. As reference I measure a 41 and and just over a D width. 

Just FYI, I work part time as a footwear / boot fitter in an outdoor store. 

Thanks for the feedback, Mark.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Anyone have the La Sportiva G5, and know it's w…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started