Mountain Project Logo

living in summit county beta

Original Post
marisa cones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 10

Possibly moving to summit county from Oklahoma for a job any climbers in the area have local beta on the climbing community or the area in general. would much appreciate. 

The job will probably be in Frisco. 

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20

Boulder is close enough.  It is the opposite of the typical ski traffic.  Head down for good climbing 

Mike Mooney · · Silverthorne, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 0

Climbing season is short 

there is a small gym

it is a small town tourist area

investigate housing $$$ and hard to find

you should move!

bearded sam · · Crested Butte, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 145

I lived in Summit County for almost ten years, with a stint in Boulder and Salt Lake as well. Its BUSY! There is good to great climbing in all directions, but roughly 2 hours away. South Platte, most of the stuff in the Western Sloper guidebook, Eldo, Clear Creek, Indy pass the Voo is a pleasant drive but its lots of driving. There is a small amount of after work cragging as well. Lincoln Ice is nice, Vail ice is sweet. Housing and traffic are probably the two biggest PITA but the community there is quite tight as well. Good luck! 

Thank y'all for rhe advice ! I'm a teacher so finding affordable housing is one of my worries for sure as well as having Comunity and people to get outside with. 

Will Lewis · · Leadville, CO · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 30

There is quite a bit of rock within two hours of Summit. Shelf Road, Eldo, CCC, Rifle, Elks, Indy Pass, South Platte etc. We now have a pretty decent gym and a very dedicated crew that that climbs outside nearly every weekend. Check out the Summit Climbing Gym in Silverthorne. We are a co-op that has a staff member on site Mon-Thurs from 6:00 - 8:00pm. It's also the best way to get hooked up with the local climbing crew. 

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,978

Call IME in SLC at  (801) 484-8073.  They know the "ropes" for the area.  PC is a bitch of a town for a teacher!

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,978

Wait...Summit Co what State?

Roy Suggett wrote:

Wait...Summit Co what State?

Haha Colorado but I have also applied in Utah as well. More the slc area though.  

brian burke · · mammoth lakes, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 165

once the road opens, usually in may or june, independence pass is a quick trip thru leadville. really fun sport and trad on good rock there.

George Bracksieck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 3,393

I've climbed in Tenmile Canyon and on the Dakota Sandstone above the far shore of Dillon Res., beginning in the '70s. A lot more has been developed since, within 5-55 minutes of driving from Frisco lie Tenmile, Montezuma, Leadville, Buena Vista and Independence Pass. In the other direction lie Silver Plume, Georgetown, Dumont, Clear Creek Canyon. The season for some is usually late spring to mid-fall, but BV and CCC can be year-round. Royal Flush is a 2-minute walk from town. 

brian burke wrote:

once the road opens, usually in may or june, independence pass is a quick trip thru leadville. really fun sport and trad on good rock there.

I have climbed in independence and love it.  It is supper burly on amazing granite.  

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

Cost of living $$$$$$$$$$$$

Tourists are not fun to live around. Summer season is as busy as Winter season these days. 

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41

I left Summit County 4 years ago, after living there for many years (including 12 years in Frisco). Like everyone says, the cost of housing is obscene, assuming you can find a place. Resort communities have always had expensive housing, but the trophy home people have driven the cost of real estate to higher levels than anyone thought possible. Airbnb has done its part, too. Landlords have found out that they can do better with short term rentals on Airbnb than with long term rentals to people who work in the county, so there aren't as many places available to rent. Commuting from outside the county is not easy, between winter storms and ski season/tourist traffic. 

Long Ranger is right, living around tourists gets old.

gspup · · Sweet Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5

^ ha my next door ‘neighbor’ in Wheat Ridge only airbnb’s his house. It’s not only summit county dealing with that problem. 

Living in CO is now like living around tourists. Get used to it guys....

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20
gspup wrote:

^ ha my next door ‘neighbor’ in Wheat Ridge only airbnb’s his house. It’s not only summit county dealing with that problem. 

Living in CO is now like living around tourists. Get used to it guys....

Colorado is truly becoming a miserable to live.  I feel fortunate to have the experiences I have had. But that ship has sailed

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41

"Miserable" is much too strong a word, although it's not what it used to be.

Tzilla Rapdrilla · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 955

1000 new routes at Devil’s Head only 1.5 hours away, stay tuned for more info

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "living in summit county beta "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started