Mountain Project Logo

Wanted: Yosemite campsite 2/16 - 2/19

Original Post
Greg Estep · · charlotte, VT · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hello Everyone,

My climbing partner and I are coming to the Valley next weekend and are looking for a campsite.  It seems upper pines and camp 4 are the only valley options.  We would be delighted to share expenses, food and beverages, and gear.  We are travelling in from SF.

Cheers,

Greg and Sonny

Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0
Greg Estep wrote:

Hello Everyone,

My climbing partner and I are coming to the Valley next weekend and are looking for a campsite.  It seems upper pines and camp 4 are the only valley options.  We would be delighted to share expenses, food and beverages, and gear.  We are travelling in from SF.

Cheers,

Greg and Sonny

Are you wanting to share or get your own site. You shouldn’t have much trouble getting a site of your own. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Looks like Upper Pines is fully booked for that weekend.

Marc801 C wrote:

Looks like Upper Pines is fully booked for that weekend.

You don’t get to Yosemite much do you marc

Scottmx426 wrote:

You don’t get to Yosemite much do you marc

Not any more, and not lately. I did live there one season and have about 30 trips of 2-8 week duration.

Looks like the OP is probably wanting to share a site, although at this time of year he can probably score a site in the cesspool that is Camp 4. Reservations.gov is showing Upper Pines as fully booked.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Greg Estep wrote:

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/north-pines/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70927

I haven't checked availability for you, but there are other campgrounds, besides the two you mentioned.

Helpful hint: If you can't find a site, check back daily, as some campsites become available due to cancellations.

FrankPS wrote:

Why do you say that Upper Pines and Camp 4 are your only options?

The other campgrounds are closed during the winter.

Greg Estep · · charlotte, VT · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hey Scott and anybody else interested,

I'm just looking for a confirmed spot, so we don't have shenanigans when we roll in on Friday night.  I'm guessing camp 4 will be pretty chill and easy, but there is that whole "firefalls" thing going on this week...

Do you have a site at upper pines, or perhaps arriving to camp 4 at a less popular time to secure a spot?  If so, we would love to join the party!

-Greg

Marc801 C wrote:

Not any more, and not lately. I did live there one season and have about 30 trips of 2-8 week duration.

Looks like the OP is probably wanting to share a site, although at this time of year he can probably score a site in the cesspool that is Camp 4. Reservations.gov is showing Upper Pines as fully booked.

Thank you for sharing your outdated dossier. But before you eagerly run onto REC.gov to prove people wrong, consider that those who currently frequent the park might know more than you realize.  Greg, I PM’d you with some valauable info. Marc, this isn’t the first time you’ve been a know it all toward me or others. Although I’m used to it from lots of MP users it’s still annoying. 

TaylorP · · Pump Haus, Sonora · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Hey all! A friend and I are also looking for a spot...anyone up to share if everything is booked?

Scottmx426 wrote:

Thank you for sharing your outdated dossier. But before you eagerly run onto REC.gov to prove people wrong, consider that those who currently frequent the park might know more than you realize.  Greg, I PM’d you with some valauable info. Marc, this isn’t the first time you’ve been a know it all toward me or others. Although I’m used to it from lots of MP users it’s still annoying. 

Dude, chill. I wasn't trying to prove you wrong - I actually happened to be on rec.gov at the time for something else, so it was real easy to check, and frankly, I was surprised that it was showing fully booked. I'm guessing that may have been the motivation for the OP, since even you were unsure if they were looking for a site of their own or to share a site with someone. I think it's great that you have additional info based on more recent experience in the park and that you PM'd that to Greg. I also suspect that info is something that is better to share privately than on a public web site.

Lisa Ellerin · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 31

wawona is open for walk up right now, camp 4 has had open sites so far this winter. If you can call it winter this year.

Mike D · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 845
Marc801 C wrote:

Cesspool? Are you sure you're in the right forum?

Mike Deitchman wrote:

Cesspool? Are you sure you're in the right forum?

Yes. I've stayed in Camp 4. Historic as all hell, but it basically sucks. 

Brian Prince · · reno · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 2,727

ughhhh, you guys. you owe me... from rec.gov... upper pines:

"Winter Season: 12/1/16 through 3/30/17 Sites 1-94 open and on reservation; Sites 95-124 open first come, first served" 

You're WELCOME! :) 

And camp 4 basically sucks? what the problem is? 

Brian Prince wrote:

"Winter Season: 12/1/16 through 3/30/17 Sites 1-94 open and on reservation; Sites 95-124 open first come, first served" 

Thank you! They could certainly make that info a bit more obvious, without requiring a click-through on a fairly easily missed link.

Now it's probably fine, but in season.....

noisy, hard to get sleep

dusty

noisy

seems more crowded and more on top of your neighbor than other CGs - it may not be in actuality, but it sure feels that way

shared bear boxes (I'll admit the last time I stayed there was long before the bear boxes)

noisy

a long hump with your gear and food 

severely lacking in clean-up and maintenance - especially the rest rooms

did I mention noisy?

Out of the 20+ trips I've camped in the Valley, only stayed in Camp 4 twice - couldn't stand it after that and always wound up in one of the Pines CGs.

Mike D · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 845
Marc801 C wrote:

Thank you! They could certainly make that info a bit more obvious, without requiring a click-through on a fairly easily missed link.

Now it's probably fine, but in season.....

noisy, hard to get sleep

dusty

noisy

seems more crowded and more on top of your neighbor than other CGs - it may not be in actuality, but it sure feels that way

shared bear boxes (I'll admit the last time I stayed there was long before the bear boxes)

noisy

a long hump with your gear and food 

severely lacking in clean-up and maintenance - especially the rest rooms

did I mention noisy?

Out of the 20+ trips I've camped in the Valley, only stayed in Camp 4 twice - couldn't stand it after that and always wound up in one of the Pines CGs.

In season? No time like the present... If you're comparing summer, that's not climbing season.

Mike Deitchman wrote:

In season? No time like the present... If you're comparing summer, that's not climbing season.

Not summer! Spring and fall prime time.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Brian Prince wrote:

You tell 'em, Brian. Way to shake things up by.telling these wankers what's up. :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Wanted: Yosemite campsite 2/16 - 2/19"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started