Mountain Project Logo

Roy/Kiowa Nat'l Grasslands under Stage I Fire Restrictions

Original Post
Owen S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 3,363

Kiowa Nat'l Grasslands is under Stage I fire restrictions. This means that no campfires are allowed outside of the FS campgrounds, i.e. no fires at Mesteño Canyon rim sites. Please pay attention to signage when travelling across public lands—climbers were burning a fire at Middle Mesteño (Jumbles) rim on Sat night, despite driving past these signs. Please spread the word among the community.

Sandy Ray · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Hi Owen. Found your name on Mountain Project site. I west of Roy, NM on a cattle ranch...also have a couple guest houses, rv park, and an antique/gift shop in Roy. I am a member of the Roy Chamber of Commerce and as an organization we  want to do what we can to make your climbing experience a good one and have any needed supplies on hand. Not a climber but have enjoyed the utubes on climbing in Roy. Who would I need to contact to get needed information? Thanks Owen...Sandy Ray

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

Thanks for the heads up Owen. NM climbers should remember that it was climbers who started the Dome Wilderness fire in Cochiti in 1996 as well as the Last Chance Canyon fire in 2011. These were both started by campfire, and were two of the most destructive fires in state history. I hope that we, as a community, are capable of learning from our history. 

Owen S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 3,363

Sandy, thanks a lot for getting in touch! There are a few things I can think of. I will send a PM shortly, hopefully it gets through ok.

Schmuck, indeed, sobering stuff. Gogas told me that the two climbers who started the LC fire were fined $2M—one was Mexican and left the country, and the other is paying it off at something like $1000/month for the rest of his life. The parallels between last chance and Roy are striking, yes lets hope that we can all learn from history. I will be doing my best to inform climbers when I see them out there during the remainder of this season.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Roy/Kiowa Nat'l Grasslands under Stage I Fire R…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started