Mountain Project Logo

FS Ikea bag rope bag/tarp concept

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Aidan Raviv · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 95

Hi all, in case you missed my post in gear discussion:

I made a few rope bag/tarp things. I have been using a very similar design for about 6 months with no issues and enough people asked to buy it that I decided to try selling them here on MP. I am selling them for $25 (you pay shipping) and they cost about $12 in materials so I'm basically just making enough money to justify the 2-3 hours it takes to make each bag. 

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a professional and I the bags won't all look the same due to differences in zipper/fabric/thread/stitching combos. If this bothers you, make your own or pay extra for me to source more matchy materials.

Here's the bag zipped up and flat on the ground. Unlike a normal ikea bag, these lie flat and are more of a tote style. You gain a little bit of space but it doesn't lie flat when it's empty. C'est la vie.

This is a mesh pocket for shoes so they don't get as gross. It is sized for one shoe/pocket and the pockets are not huge so if you have big feet you may need me to make the pocket slightly larger.

There are also 2 smallish zippered pockets for phone/snacks. This particular bag was partially made from spare parts I had around the house so the zippers on the pockets are not as big as I'd like but future bags will have larger pocket zippers. 

Bags will be made to order and I am happy to try custom options such as extra shoe pockets, extra zippered pockets, velcro, fun colors and whatever else. I can make them with the flat bottom like the original Ikea bag but it takes a more expensive zipper and slightly more fabric but it can be done. I'm also working on a larger version for outdoor use but it hasn't been perfected yet. Lemme know if you have questions/comments! DM me if you want one.

Puppy included for scale.

J P · · SL, UT · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 15

I would love to see more people use their talents/skills on these type of projects. 

And the extra income is always a bonus.

Great Job!

Aidan Raviv · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 95

Bump for my zipper shipment and giant spool of high strength thread.

Gabe Cisneros · · Baltimore, md · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

Love your doggie!

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.