Mountain Project Logo

Ikea rope tarp/bag concept for sale at cost

Original Post
Aidan Raviv · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 95

Hi team,

I made a few rope bag/tarp things. I have been using a very similar design for about 6 months with no issues and enough people asked to buy it that I decided to try selling them here on MP. The first 3 will be sold at cost ($12 plus whatever it costs to ship) and they will be $25 thereafter (good pup not included). 

Here's the bag zipped up and flat on the ground. Unlike a normal ikea bag, these lie flat and are more of a tote style. You gain a little bit of space but it doesn't lie flat when it's empty. C'est la vie.

This is a mesh pocket for shoes so they don't get as gross. It is sized for one shoe/pocket and the pockets are not huge so if you have big feet you may need me to make the pocket slightly larger.

There are also 2 smallish zippered pockets for phone/snacks. This particular bag was partially made from spare parts I had around the house so the zippers on the pockets are not as big as I'd like but future bags will have larger pocket zippers. 

Bags will be made to order and I am happy to try custom options such as extra shoe pockets, extra zippered pockets, fun colors and whatever else. I can make them with the flat bottom like the original Ikea bag but it takes a more expensive zipper and slightly more fabric but it can be done. I'm also working on a larger version for outdoor use but it hasn't been perfected yet. Lemme know if you have questions/comments!

Cost breakdown is: $1 for the bag $4 for the extra fabric bits (clear and mesh), $2 each per large zipper, $1 for the small zippers plus thread/needles and tax + miscellaneous other stuff. Tbh they take a long time to make and I'm not making any money on them so you're getting a pretty good deal on my labor. :)

ThomasR · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

pm sent

Ben Vining · · Philadelphia · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 105

I have been using a standard Ikea bag but would love one of your modified ones, I sent a PM.

Eric K · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 45

I don’t have a need myself but that looks awesome 

Daniel Hamilton · · Iron Range, MN · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I'd like to buy one. Let me know where to send paypal.

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781

Really nice piece of work! 

Daniel Hamilton wrote:

I'd like to buy one. Let me know where to send paypal.

DM me with a mailing address and your shoe size and I'll let you know when I am ready to ship. 

Congrats to Taylor P, Thomas R and Ben for being the first 3 people to order. I will notify you when I am ready to ship and we can work out payments then. Like I said in some DMs, I am waiting for a zipper shipment. The bags may end up with zippers that do not match the yellow/blue color scheme. If this bothers you, let me know ASAP and I can order the more expensive zippers that match better.

Josie Benson · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Looks awesome and I would like to pay you $12 for the good pupper

Josie Benson wrote:

Looks awesome and I would like to pay you $12 for the good pupper

Joke's on you--he bites.

TaylorP · · Pump Haus, Sonora · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I don't mind a miss-match on the zipper! Function over fashion

Bump for high strength thread and 60 zippers.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Ikea rope tarp/bag concept for sale at cost"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started