Mountain Project Logo

Moccasym disymtegrating

Original Post
Acmesalute76 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 71

2 days of climbing

4 days of climbing 

Blame Adidas? 

I contacted them, will see what they say. I've heard of toe caps blowing out from excessive thin cracks but not this. 

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 505

In my many pairs of moccs I've never seen anything like that. How did you manage that?

JF M · · NoCo · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,823

it takes some mighty foot funk to make the shoes blow out like that

Daniel Howe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Mine are brand new and did the same.  No gymnastics or crazy moves, just simple toe work.  

However I stopped after I noticed the tear (unfortunately tear began day 1 of using them).  Did you buy them from the factory sale or another source?

I brought them to the local cobbler to repair ($14), he is going to adhere a piece of leather to hold the two pieces together and then stitch the piece in place to keep from further tearing.  

O, I should add that I also have a pair of synthetic mocs and have not had this problem.  Only one shoe, right shoe, I believe was affected.  

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

Question: Do you have a dog?

I’ve owned several pairs and never had that problem or anything close. I’d talk to five ten, that’s fucked.

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635

My most recent pair of Moccs did the exact same thing on one shoe!  I talked to 5ten, but I think they were past the one-year warranty or something.  

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

I've owned a dozen pairs of those shoes over the years and that never happened. It sounds like the build quality has gone in the crapper.

David Arredondo · · Austin, TX · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 15

I’d contact five ten. That’s outrageous, and clearly a design flaw.

Glass Tupperware · · Atlanta · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 45

I've had that happen before on a pair that I bought used. Interesting that it's happening in brand new moccasyms! My solution was to stitch it up and cover the patch with seam grip, and it worked great

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635
Tim Stich wrote:

I've owned a dozen pairs of those shoes over the years and that never happened. It sounds like the build quality has gone in the crapper.

Yeah, the pair I've got is probably the 10th pair I've bought.  Been a loyal mocc-devotee for nearly 20 years.  And this is the first this has ever happened.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Never seen anything like that before, nor should it be possible within a short time.  Contact Adidas/Five Ten.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I've seen it before in other shoes and also one section of my leather couch.

All the leather here is split grain. Basically it half the thickness of what a cow had. I think even the most sophisticated cutting process wouldn't be perfect. This shoe (and my couch) unfortunately got a thinner and weaker than normal section worked into a critical area.

Hopefully they will replace them, I have my doubts they will though.

Glass Tupperware wrote:

I've had that happen before on a pair that I bought used. Interesting that it's happening in brand new moccasyms! My solution was to stitch it up and cover the patch with seam grip, and it worked great

It looks like you also use the seam grip on the toe area of the right shoe?  I don’t see any on the left shoe.  Just curious why ou did that?

Glass Tupperware · · Atlanta · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 45

Leather on the right toe also ripped through (you can sort of see the line of stitches under the seam grip). For some reason the it was only the right shoe, and I had no such issues with the left

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

FWIW I had a pair of Sportivas do something similar. After taking with them about it they said that such issues were due to improper fit. i.e got shoes that were too small. And in most cases it is not covered by warranty. I called BS on that but then because they had just been resoled they still would not look at the shoes.

Cameron Brunner · · wenatchee wa · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Mine did the and thing last year. Five ten replaced them. However I'm not sure what will happen with addidas 

Charles DuPont · · Portland, ME · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 118

Mine got to the “2 days of climbing” point in my first 2 days with them as well,  but after 5 months or so they havent gotten any worse still.  

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
Cameron Brunner wrote:

Mine did the and thing last year. Five ten replaced them. However I'm not sure what will happen with addidas 

Considering it was still owned by Adidas then, I’d imagine the same thing.

Here are a couple photos from the repairs to my shoe.  The cobbler basically pulled the two pieces together and glued a piece of leather then tacked it in place on one side.  Then glued the other side and put a horizontal stitch through the rubber and leather to hold it together.  I’ve been to the gym a couple times since and an outdoor trip, and they seem to be holding together well.  They still have the stretch that I have come to expect/require.

Matt Ritter · · Manhattan, NY · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

I have the exact same tear at the outer ankles in both shoes in a pair of Moccasyms that I've only worn for a few days. This is my second pair, and the first pair did not show this kind of wear. Maybe something about the manufacturing process changed? I've contacted Adidas to let them know, I was definitely a bit disappointed to look down at my feet today and realize that my shoes were ripped.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Moccasym disymtegrating"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.