Mountain Project Logo

Interested in many adventure sports

Original Post
Brent B · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Hey all,

I initially discovered adventure sports about a year or so ago, and am trying to decide which direction to go. I enjoy challenging myself, learning, getting outside to enjoy nature, meeting new people, and fast-paced adrenaline sports (for instance, skiing).

My problem is I like quite a few of the different sports out there and feel a little overwhelmed. I'm wondering if it's advisable to really 'get into' many different adventure sports. The time, money, and effort to do all of them can be a lot and I'm not sure if it's doable. 

Are there others that have 5-6 sports they do, or do they just stick to a more narrow list?

Here is some more info on my experience/interests:

1. Skiing (This is my favorite sport. I have all the gear.)

2. Rock climbing (Gym climbing for 6+ months. Learning to go outside in a month. I have some basic gear.)

3. Backpacking (1+ year backpacking in NC, Tennessee, and Virginia. I have all the gear.)

4. Mountaineering (Climbed Rainier w/ guide. Considering taking an Alpinism class so I can go unguided but w/ experienced peeps.)

5. Mountain biking (I've tried it, and really enjoyed it. Thinking this could be a great summer activity. I have no gear.)

6. White water kayaking (Took a lesson. Genuinely afraid of this sport, but know I could overcome that. I have no gear.)

Any advice you may have would be much appreciated. I like all the above and don't wanna miss out, but am feeling a little guilty and/or overwhelmed for wanting to do all of them. It also makes my wallet scream. Thanks!

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

it is quite difficult to be a person of white complexion, status of middle class! yes? too many such choices are in existenzzzzzzzzzzz yesss myah yesszsszzsz my precioussssssss hyah myagh myah hyaah hyah MYAHAHAHGHGHGHGHHHH MYAH!!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

It's up to you to prioritize your interests and expenditures. 

Ancent · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 34

It's great to do everything you enjoy. I don't know where you live, but if those are all accessible within weekends or after work, then you're set. The first four are pretty related and skillsets translate between them, every skier I know bikes in the offseason (similar fast cruising through mountains, and where I live has tons of great single track riding to keep in shape on). White water sports are great to perfect on long road trips with dedicated paddlers who can show you the ropes. If money is tight: buy some used gear (great ski setups can be bought for 1/3 off new retail if you bargain hunt), backcountry ski if you like to save on pass costs, get into climbing with other partners to share gear/rack/rope, backpacking gear is standard camping gear you'll need for everything, mountaineering is just backpacking gear + climbing gear, etc. In terms of time commitment: learn climbing techniques, which will translate into mountaineering skillsets with your backpacking knowledge. 

Bottom line: I'm sure many/most people on here do most of those sports you mentioned.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
Brent B wrote:

Hey all,

I initially discovered adventure sports about a year or so ago, and am trying to decide which direction to go. I enjoy challenging myself, learning, getting outside to enjoy nature, meeting new people, and fast-paced adrenaline sports (for instance, skiing).

My problem is I like quite a few of the different sports out there and feel a little overwhelmed. I'm wondering if it's advisable to really 'get into' many different adventure sports. The time, money, and effort to do all of them can be a lot and I'm not sure if it's doable. 

Are there others that have 5-6 sports they do, or do they just stick to a more narrow list?

Here is some more info on my experience/interests:

1. Skiing (This is my favorite sport. I have all the gear.)

2. Rock climbing (Gym climbing for 6+ months. Learning to go outside in a month. I have some basic gear.)

3. Backpacking (1+ year backpacking in NC, Tennessee, and Virginia. I have all the gear.)

4. Mountaineering (Climbed Rainier w/ guide. Considering taking an Alpinism class so I can go unguided but w/ experienced peeps.)

5. Mountain biking (I've tried it, and really enjoyed it. Thinking this could be a great summer activity. I have no gear.)

6. White water kayaking (Took a lesson. Genuinely afraid of this sport, but know I could overcome that. I have no gear.)

Any advice you may have would be much appreciated. I like all the above and don't wanna miss out, but am feeling a little guilty and/or overwhelmed for wanting to do all of them. It also makes my wallet scream. Thanks!

Sometimes you have eggs.  Sometimes you have cereal.  You don't really need to consult the Internet.

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20

Adventure Sports are gateways into higher realms similar to hallucinogenic drugs.  You should add magic mushrooms and lsd to your list to be a well rounded adventurer   

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392
trailridge wrote:

Adventure Sports are gateways into higher realms similar to hallucinogenic drugs.  You should add magic mushrooms and lsd to your list to be a well rounded adventurer   

A man after my own heart.

But add DMT

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

You just pick them up one at a time. Some have crossover gear and skills (climbing in all it's forms, backpacking, and ski mountaineering). And then you end up with 1/2 of your studio apartment full of crap because you don't know where to put 3 bikes, 8 surfboards, 3 wetsuits, 3 kiteboarding kites + gear, 5 skis with inbounds and bc gear, AND heaps of climbing and backpacking gear. It's only taken me 10 years to get into this problem. 

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

If you try to pursue mountain biking, climbing, and white water at the same time you will find you are spending an astronomical amount of money and that you plateau in each sport at a pretty low level but if that's ok with you then go for it. 

Brent B · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful. Glad I'm not the only one like this!

Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 525

Best bet is to be a trustifarian. 

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121

It is good to pick sports whose weather and seasons contradict each other.  Skiing generally pairs well with things because when it is good for skiing, it usually isn't as good for climbing, etc.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 70
Mike Brady wrote:

A man after my own heart.

But add DMT

Why stop there? Add in a spiritual retreat to the Peruvian jungle to drink Ayahuasca.

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air wrote:

Why stop there? Add in a spiritual retreat to the Peruvian jungle to drink Ayahuasca.

DMT is "stronger" and you don't have to go to Peru and barf your face off.

Mark P. · · Luzern, Schweiz · Joined May 2013 · Points: 1,846

Depending how you do it, "mountaineering" could/should encompass skiing, rock climbing, and backpacking, plus ice climbing.  

Glenn Schuler · · Monument, Co. · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,330

Just add skydiving and robbing banks and you can be just like Brody!

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

All the fun sports are expensive

Ancent · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 34
stolo wrote:

All the fun sports are expensive

But not relative to other things you can do as a "hobby" or even "family vacation." Go several times a year to a professional basketball game with your buddy OR pay for cable yearly and you spent money that could have bought a used ski setup or rope and TR gear. Do a family trip to Disney and you are way over what a climbing vacation with new gear would cost. If you're a foody who eats out at nice places to post on intagram, you could have gained entry into another fun outdoor sport for that cost.

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214
Ancent wrote:

But not relative to other things you can do as a "hobby" or even "family vacation." Go several times a year to a professional basketball game with your buddy OR pay for cable yearly and you spent money that could have bought a used ski setup or rope and TR gear. Do a family trip to Disney and you are way over what a climbing vacation with new gear would cost. If you're a foody who eats out at nice places to post on intagram, you could have gained entry into another fun outdoor sport for that cost.

Pretty much word for word I have said the exact same thing to many of my friends and family. I think you and me would get along great lol. But yes, it is amazing the amount of money people "throw away" without even realizing it. Cable, coffees, excessive vehicles, excessive homes, clothes that you will not wear often, poor quality stuff that breaks, movie and sports tickets (no way am I supporting those overpaid fools). A coworker recently told me how much it cost to go to Disney with the kids, my jaw hit the floor, on top of that, who cares about that stuff, take your kids to something real. 

I think you will like this site.. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

do not engage in the doing of the ice a climbing, unless you hate yourself and want to die

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

It all depends what YOU want to prioritize and what you value as self-rewarding.  I used to only concentrate on one sport (well its really 3 sports in one) and that was my only focus for many years but now I have broadened my horizons and I'm okay with being okay at several different activities.

Old Self:

college team long distance triathlon (made up of swimming, cycling, running, and all the effing gear)

New Self:

Climbing

Backpacking

SUP

Board Games

Car Camping

Hiking

Trail Running

Mountain Biking

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Interested in many adventure sports"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started